What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting RV-6 to RV-6A

RV475DB

I'm New Here
I just bought an RV6 and I wanted to see if anyone has ever converted a tail dragger into a tri-gear? The plane has been flown 60 hrs and only needs paint and a few minor items to be complete. I am trying to find out what would be intailed with this type of modification?

Estimated cost and hours of labor espected?

Drawbacks if any?

Thanks in advance for any information on this matter.

Re: Converting rv-6 to tri-gear?

RV475DB said:
I just bought an RV6 and I wanted to see if anyone has ever converted a tail dragger into a tri-gear? The plane has been flown 60 hrs and only needs paint and a few minor items to be complete. I am trying to find out what would be intailed with this type of modification?

Estimated cost and hours of labor espected?

Drawbacks if any?

Thanks in advance for any information on this matter.

You would have to do the steps that follow:
Purchase new 6a gear leg brackets and new gear legs
Remove bolts from wing spar that go through the spar where the 6a gear leg brackets will fit.
Since the 6a gear leg bracket is not predrilled, you would have to figure out some way to jig up brackets to spar so that it will be in alignment. When building the 6a, this is done with the fuselage mounted on the jig upside down and the legs in the gear leg brackets with jigs to keep the correct toe-in, etc.
Drill in place and bolt together.
Also bolt holes to drill from the side into the gear leg bracket. There is also a reinforceing plate that goes into the side of the fuselage against the gear leg bracket that the 6 doesnt have. This would have to be installed also.
Install new gear legs
Move wheels from old gear legs to new gear legs
Remove engine
Remove and replace motor mount with 6a motor mount. Hope no interference occurs on firewall because of nose gear leg bracket.
Install new nose gear leg and wheel
Rework cowl to fit around nose gear leg
Remove tail wheel assembly
Remove and relocate brake lines to work with new brake lines.

I have probably missed a bunch of stuff. But it seems like a lot of work. Its a lot easier to go from a 6a to a 6, I think.
How about just selling your 6 and buying a 6a?
Regards,
Tom Velvick
N53KT rv-4
N7053L rv-4
N188kj rv-6a wiring panel

Too much work

It would be easer to just start with a new RV 7a QB. It is still a sellers market, so sell the 6 and build your A.

it is doable and worth doing

This has been done several times, including Van's prototype RV-7 which they converted (improved) after two years by converting it to a 7A. Going from the tailwheel to the trike is much easier than vice/versa because you dont have to take the aft fuse apart to install the tailwheel bracket.

Van's has a package in their computer for all the parts.

I helped with this once and it took about a month of evenings. We had to pull the wings and use the spars to drill the landing gear mount brackets and we had to pull the engine off to replace the mount. It took some tools and manpower, but it wasn't difficult work.

I flew the airplane before and after, and all in all, considered it a better airplane with the nosewheel.

Back