What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket Safety Seminar at OSHkosh

Linedog

Oshkosh saw a group of Rocketeers getting together for a Safety Seminar. The purpose was to try to solicit ideas on improving safety in the Rocket types. The rocket is one of the greatest sport aircraft on the planet, but recently there have been some seemingly very preventable accidents/incidents crop up. The goal of the seminar was to try to come together as a group and help each other. Several people expressed an interest, but could not attend, and wanted a summary of what transpired...so here it is: a quick (?) summary from our meeting at Oshkosh. We welcome any comments, corrections or suggestions.

The safety seminar was well attended. More than 25 people took time out of their AirVenture experience to participate. It was a diverse group: builders and flyers with F1s, Harmons, and ?hybrids?, geographically varied, experienced and not so. We had a wealth of knowledge and breadth of experience not often see in a flying group. It was a great opportunity to put faces with names and get to know other Rocketeers.

We started with a short review of Rocket accidents. Most plaguing were several accidents that occurred ?maneuvering? close to the ground and/or while performing aerobatics, with no aircraft anomalies found. There were also two forced landings. Compared to RV-type aircraft, we evidently have a greater chance of falling prey to the temptations of low level aerobatics.
We then passed on lessons learned and experiences. Some of the topics were:
?Spins and aerobatics
o Differences with a passenger/aft CG
o Hammerheads, and the risks of inadvertent spin entry
o Differences between upright and inverted spin recoveries
o Differences between learning aerobatics in a Decathlon or Pitts and flying them in a rocket
?Engine failure glide ratios: counter weighted propellers vs. non counter weighted, different props and rpm settings and their affect on glide performance
?Low altitude engine failures: when not to turn back to the runway
?Inverted oil systems: risks and maintenance requirements

We stand much better odds of improving personal safety as a group than as a bunch of individuals. Learning from each other?s experiences, and using our varied talents and resources will reap benefits for everyone. Overall, communication is the key in identifying and solving problems. To this end, Mark Frederick volunteered to help set up a private forum for Rocket owners only, aimed at sharing useful and positive information (in contrast to the open, and often misused Matronics forum).

Several suggestions were made by the group in the interest of safety. Suggestions that fell into the area of flying and operating the aircraft:
?Identify high risk practices and develop a list of procedures and maneuvers to avoid. For instance:
o Low-level aerobatics
o Showing off or performing maneuvers at the spur of the moment without forethought, proper training or practice
o Performing high pitch angle/low airspeed maneuvers (for instance, hammerheads) without understanding the risks of inadvertent spin/inverted spin entries and recovery procedures
o Over-the-top aerobatics or spins with an aft CG/heavy weight passenger
o Engine hot starts with high throttle settings and/or locked brakes resulting in nose-overs
?Encourage owners to fly with one another (with ego?s checked at the door) to observe each other?s good and bad habits
o Highlights differences between airframes and helps start an exchange of information
?Develop a personal safety creed to make a conscious decision on the ground to avoid high risk situations and actions. Help support others in adhering to their safety creed. For instance:
o I will not perform low level aerobatics or aggressive maneuvers below XXXX? AGL
o I will not fly VFR with ceilings less than XXXX?, XXXX? in mountainous terrain
o I will identify and fix known aircraft malfunctions promptly
o I will always take X minutes to perform a proper preflight inspection
o I will not fly when impaired physically in any way
o Etc?
From the Maintenance and Airworthiness side of the equation:
?Identify maintenance areas to pay closer attention to
o Re-torque gear legs at oil changes
o Engine baffling
o Tailwheel spring attach bracket
o Control linkages, rod-ends and use of washers
o Engine mounts
o Empennage and spar attach points
?Realize the additional strain placed on aircraft used regularly for aerobatics and increase inspection requirements
?Have an experienced and concerned independent person look over your aircraft
o the builder may have a prejudiced eye when it comes to inspecting and maintaining their own aircraft
o a non-builder may not have the experience or know how to maintain their own aircraft
o It may be hard on the pride, but having a critical but considerate individual inspect our airplanes may help point out deficiencies. In any case, it helps start an exchange of information.
o Put together a ?for fun? fly-in competition where we all look at each other?s planes to see who can find the most items that could be improved??

Conclusion: It was worthwhile time spent with other Rocketeers. The session was well received and most came away feeling positive and better informed. Many expressed an interest in continuing with similar gatherings and new measures focused on Rocket safety. We fly, or are building to fly one of the best sport aircraft on the planet. To be able to maximize the thrill of flying this great aircraft safely, and be able to encourage others to do the same would be a great goal!

Excellent Jeff. Sorry I missed the group this year at Airventure. I hope to make it back in 09. Thank you for leading this effort on our behalf.

Mark Frederick volunteered to help set up a private forum for Rocket owners only, aimed at sharing useful and positive information (in contrast to the open, and often misused Matronics forum).

Your post here is in the Rocket section. A section set up for just that purpose in response to the rather acerbic individuals that seem to frequent the Matronics forum.

The added benefit of being here as opposed to a separate Rocket only forum is the great wealth of build and maintenance info that the RV builders posess and is directly transferrable to the Rockets. My suggestion would be to continue with VAF as there just aren't enough Rocket builders to make a viable active forum.

Rocket Forum

Milt,

Thanks for the suggestion on using VAF. Actually, we already have a very viable and active Rocket forum with 50 members and 3000 posts. With the addition of more of our bretheren with owners of all varieties of Rockets, we would be even more viable. I agree that VAF is a great repository of Rocket-relevant info, and I bet most rocketeers frequent it also...

I believe we will see more information on this subject soon...

Thanks again Milt...

And here it is!

Hello Fellow Rocketeers!

Jeff Linebaugh set up an informal Safety Meeting at OSH this year; all Rocketeers were invited. My personal thanks to all who attended! The discussion included approx 25 attendees, and covered a range of situations we all considered as potential (or actual) paths to accidents. The discussion, initially scheduled for 30 min, went at least an hour longer, and led us all to agree to continue the discussion via internet.

To that end, we have arranged a Safety heading on the F1 forum. Those involved agreed that there would be stipulations to join this forum, mainly that all attendees must own a Rocket (of any heritage) or be actively building a kit. As a group, it was also decided that egos should be checked at the door; civility will be another primary concern.

Please contact me at F1Boss (at) gmail.com to be admitted.

Carry on!
Mark

Back