What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Secret Info from ECI

ww2planes

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. I was at the ECI booth yesteday at the Reno Air Races and talked with an unnamed source. I asked about the 390 engine and asked if they were going to visit an engine that size. They said that they were but in different ways that the other guys and they would not specify any details.

They further stated that they like the 360 and they are hoping that within the next year we can see some new engines. I told them that I was interested in about 220 HP and I was told to watch the horizon and that within a year I should be very satisfied with my options in the 360 engines.

Enough of that for now. As far as current items I have to give them major kudos for what they have done with the Lycosaur. They have modernized the engine and concentrated on the areas that have long been in need of attention.

I can see that I have no choice but to stick an ECI on the front of my 7A. I am still building wings with a fuse scheduled in Febuary or March so I have plenty of time.

I too am interested in seeing what is in store.

I would like the 390 and wish to have a SOLID 200 hosses at altitude to pull me though the flight levels.

When you learn more, please advise!

:rolleyes: CJ

Will Do

Hello CJ. I think that we are about to see a whole new generation of 360 engine. These guys just have too many good ideas.

I think the time is here to "Hot Rod" the IO-360.

The IO-390 and roller lifters is the start of it all. Throw in some cool ignitions, FADEC and oiling systems... before you know it, we have a technolgically advanced engine to match our instruments!

The basic platform is good. Dirt simple, but good.

...can't wait to see what they have in store!

:D CJ

You gents have any concern about hot rodding an engine which still has the basic Lycoming 4 banger crankshaft design? Or is the angle valve crank which the IO-390 will be using somehow better than the parallel valve engine crank?

It is nice to see the supply base improving as a result of the demands created by RV builders on the O-360 market, no doubt we'll see similar response on the O-540 and then maybe the Rotax market (RV-12).

Last edited:
Improved Lycoming

I hung a new Superior on my 7A. I baught into the sales pitch about improved Lycoming. I have 400 Hrs on it now, and i don't have any complaints except the cost. The guys around here flying RVs don't seem to mind overspeeding their Lycomings. Time will tell

New ECi Engines

Hey Guys, I worked the ECi booth at Reno and it is true. ECi will have numerous improvements next year that will knock your socks off.
I too can hardly wait.
Robbie

RE: New ECI engines

Robbie, any clues to what that means to those of us just hanging our new ECI Titans? Upgrades or completely new systems?
Thanks
Mark Mercier RV-7A Finish Kit
C-GQRV reserved
Vancouver, Canada

If Wishes Were Fishes....

I'd beg, groval, and whimper - kill if I had to - for a real cam with more lift, duration, and overlap than the mild profile now used.

John Siebold

Back