What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Twins/Royal in KC

petehowell

Well Known Member
Twins/Royals in KC

Andi and I want to catch the Twins and Royals in KC this weekend. Looking for local advice on what airport to use and if public transportation might be available. Initial research shows Wheeler Downtown and Lee's Summit are close.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lee's Summit

I flew in to Lee's Summit for a Rangers/Royals game a few years ago. There was no public transport that I could find, and the cab ride was very long and very expensive. When I got back, the airport was closed and dark and it had no pilot-controlled lighting. I had to climb a fence to get to my plane and take off in the dark. You might want to consider staying overnight so you can have beer at the ballpark.

Based at Lee's Summit

Hi,

We now have pilot controlled lighting.

Also, the "open-by-hand" gate is locked after the FBO closes but the combination is the field elevation (sign on the gate clues you in to that).

In miles, both airports are about the same distance from the stadium: approx 10 miles. Driving from Wheeler airport (MKC) means negotiating the downtown area. Driving from Lee's Summit (LXT) means a more relaxed interstate drive.

The airport has courtesy cars but rentals are brought in by appointment, as I understand it. Being based here I have never used the courtesy car so haven't even asked about the time limits.

When, and how long, do you plan to be in town? I could provide you with a vehicle, free of charge, for a couple days. I am currently in Dallas but will be back in KC by tomorrow.

Keith,

I hope that the vehicle you provide Pete will be adorned with all manner of Royals paraphernalia, and that the "rental agreement" you have him sign requires that he and Andi hang out the window and yell "Go Royals!" the entire ride to and from Kauffmann Stadium.

Lees Summit

Pete,
Another plug for Lees Summit...

This Saturday is the annual Young Eagles rally at Wheeler Downtown (KMKC). We had a big turnout (flew approx 300) last year and I would expect heavy traffic in the area.

Lees Summit is also a much more RV-friendly airport. We have a very active EAA chapter with several RVs (4, 6A, 7, 8, 9A) on the field and several project planes within a ten minute drive. Either Keith or I can help out if you need assistance/tools/parts/emergency hanger space.

If you decide you need a rental car, the local Enterprise agency delivers...after hours pickup/drop off can be coordinated through the airport office (816-969-1186).

Safe travel,
Mike

Last edited:
BBQ in KC

While I'll acknowledge that the great state of Texas produces some fine BBQ, my personal favorite for a sit-down dinner is Jack Firorella's, aka Jack's Stack here in KC. Not cheap, but worth it. Jack's Stack has several restaurants to choose from in the area: for directions see
http://www.jackstackbbq.com/info.asp?ii=2&sid=&eid=&tid=

For reviews of other BBQ joints, see:
http://kansascity.about.com/od/restaurants/tp/BBQTopPicks.htm

A little closer to the airport are "Beauchamps" or "The Filling Station" here in Lees Summit. Head downtown Lees Summit and follow your nose.

Safe travel,
Mike

Last edited:
OK, I'm back in town...

Well, the vehicle is unadorned, and not even blue... oh, well...:D

I expect we'll talk tomorrow, Pete.

Back