What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grand Rapids in an RV-8?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
Anyone know of an RV-8 that has a 2-tube GRT setup?

Just curious to see some pics if there?s one out there.

TIA.

Brad

Yup!

Brad,

The two-tube GRT fits perfectly in my RV-8....I have a bunch of pictures, but haven't taken the time to work through the posting process here on Doug's fine site....I can email them if you want. Unfortunately, I don't have the thumb drive with those pictures in my pocket right now, so it will have to wait until tonight.

GRT + RV-8 = Perfect! :D

Paul Dye
Gettign ready for inspection...

Ironflight said:
Brad,

The two-tube GRT fits perfectly in my RV-8....I have a bunch of pictures, but haven't taken the time to work through the posting process here on Doug's fine site....I can email them if you want. Unfortunately, I don't have the thumb drive with those pictures in my pocket right now, so it will have to wait until tonight.

GRT + RV-8 = Perfect! :D

Paul Dye
Gettign ready for inspection...
Thanks Paul. That would be great! Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Gotta go do a quick ATL round trip :)

Brad
air_upser at yahoo.com

I've got two in my Rocket. You can see it on the web site. Nearly the same panel size as an -8, only "faster". :D

N188PD Panel...

OK, If I did this right....

panel2zw.jpg

See how nice the dual-screen GRT fits?

Paul Dye

This summer we did two panels with the 2 Screen/Dual GRT EFIS setup. An RV8 and a Rocket (nearly the same panel size) and they fit just fine. There are pics on our website under the panels section. This is a very popular setup and has become very popular across all the RV's & Rockets.

Incidentally but not entirely on subject, we just finished wiring up a panel with (COUNTE 'EM) 5 - Yep "FIVE" GRT screens in an RV6 panel. That's a LOT of glass! Seeing lot's of 3 screeners in the RV10 world too.

We're now starting on a RV8 panel with Dual Chelton screens in it. Very tight fit to get 2 Cheltons in there, but an impressive panel none-the-less.

Anyway, in the end 2 GRT's fit in the -8's quite nicely and look good too!

Cheers,
Stein.

Paul, that is a phenomenal panel! I have no idea what will be available by the time I?m ready to put my panel together, but if that day were today, dual screen GRT would be it!

I really like your circuit breaker panel as well. Very nice job!

Are you using a common pitot/static source for both the GRT and your steam gauge back-ups or did you provide separate sources for each?

Thanks for the posting the photo! It?s inspiring.

Brad

Thanks Brad! I am hoping that I like it in flight. In the few engnie runs that I have done so far, I have yet to train my eyes where to look for things, but that should come quick - wish I could model the EFIS in Flight Sim or something....

I am using the same source of pitot and static for the steam gauges - I am pretty comfortable using GPS as a backup for airspeed and altitude in a pinch, and that little bump on the glareshield is a Garmin 18 which drives the AnywhereMap on my Ipaq.

Paul

In the few engnie runs that I have done so far, I have yet to train my eyes where to look for things, but that should come quick - wish I could model the EFIS in Flight Sim or something....
Paul,
Flight Factory Simulations has simulated Dynon EFIS and EMS for FS2004. I know it isn't GRT, but it may still help you train your eyes where to look for airspeed, altitude and such.
http://www.flightfactory-simulations.com/

switch guards

Paul,

I am curious about the two dueling switch guards in your panel...are they for the EI? Do you have any other pics of your panel close-up? I would be interested in learning more...looks very nice.

Scott

Switch Guards

Scott,

If you're talking about the red switch covers on either side of the panel, they're just there to stop me from bumping stuff I don't want to use without thinking. The starter is on the right, the primer is on the left. Arguably, they are not preventing anything catastrophic, but they are very cheap protection. The two switch covers on the electrical panel (down on the right) are for the essential bus source select, and the standby alternator.

I have a few shuttle-style switch guards as well - they are handy when things are bouncing around as finger handles and switch locators.

I have a higher-rez picture, but it's too big to upload to the web site...

Paul Dye

Mike - I don't don't have any problem with routine glass cockpit presentaions for airspeed, altitude, etc...that's poretty standard, and I'm fairly used to it. It's the unique stuff like where my RPM and MAP went that I have to get used to!

Back