What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Performance and Superior Horizontal Induction

David-aviator

Well Known Member
Greetings,

Has anyone here installed the AFP servo with the Superior plenum?

The Vans FAB horizontal induction kit is designed to mount with the Bendix or Precision servo, not AFP. The attach flanges are different.

Rather than reinvent a wheel, I am just wondering if anyone else has crossed this bridge.

If you mean the Vans snorkel, there are two types, VA-132 and VA-132-1. The latter fits the AFP fuel servo, the former fits the Bendix etc. Try searching under "snorkel"

I'm just finishing installing the VA-132-1 for a Superior with the AFP servo. Bolting the snorkel to the front of the servo is the least of the problems.

You will need to make a recess in the snorkel for the alternator mounting, and then fabricate a mounting to hold the air-filter and snorkel to the left front baffle. Its a complete pain.....:(:(:(

Better get back to it.

Chris

If you mean the Vans snorkel, there are two types, VA-132 and VA-132-1. The latter fits the AFP fuel servo, the former fits the Bendix etc. Try searching under "snorkel"

I'm just finishing installing the VA-132-1 for a Superior with the AFP servo. Bolting the snorkel to the front of the servo is the least of the problems.

You will need to make a recess in the snorkel for the alternator mounting, and then fabricate a mounting to hold the air-filter and snorkel to the left front baffle. Its a complete pain.....:(:(:(

Better get back to it.

Chris

Thanks for the snorkel info, Chris. This part is not in the Vans catalog and I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. They list FAB-HORIZ INDUCTION-1 (only) which is designed for the Bendix/Precision servos. I talked with Van himself and another worker at OSH and they indicated they have had requests for an Airflow duct but did not have one. We may not have been on the same page although we were looking in the catalog at the time and all that came up was the FAB unit.

I will check it out with Van's next week and also call Airflow Performance. The FM-200 servo looks like it was designed to to receive a SCAT tube which would to easy to route to a filter box or to an adapter to use the FAB unit. Such an adapter would be easy to make.

I have this set-up

I modified the airbox that vans sells to fit this application. There is a european RV-7 web site which shows step by step how to do it. I can't think of the address right now. I could send you a pic of my final install if you like. Short version is you cut the airbox at midpoint. Attach half to the servo and half to the baffle floor then glass it back together in the middle. You need to get creative when attaching it to the servo. Another alternative is to do what Dan did @ rvproject

Back