What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NYC - Yankee Stadium

Build9A

Well Known Member
My wife and I are flying our 9A from coastal Georgia to New York (New Jersey actually) for a Yankees game next month. We'll probably go to a broadway show as well. My question is what's the best way to get to Yankee Stadium from Manhattan>>>, subway, bus, taxi, rental car? I'm not looking for directions, just the least hassle and hopefully economical way of getting in and out of the Stadium area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Subway

Took the family to NYC last year. Stayed in Manhattan in the theater district. The subway to and from Yankee Stadium was really easy. The MTA has a great website for planning trips including getting to Yankee Stadium. http://www.mta.info/mta/sports/

Take the B or D from Midtown

From NJ you'll probably want to go to Penn Station, NY and then take the A or C or 1 or 9 train north to 59th St. Columbus Circle and then change to the B or D. Yankee Stadium is the 161st. St. station in the Bronx. If things move on time, it should take about 25 minutes from the 59th St. station.

When we go to a game and we feel we've seen enough, we'll leave a little early to beat the crush of fans that will fill the trains.

Buy your MetroCard for the number of trips you'll need for the day at Penn Station to speed your trip along. We buy one ticket and after I go thru the turnstile, I hand the card to my wife to scan herself in right behind me. You won't need additional fare when you change trains at 59th St. (just don't leave the station).

Enjoy your RV flight to the NYC area and enjoy the game and don't forget to bring lots of ca$h, everything is expensive at the game!

-Craig

thanks

Larry, Craig and Mike:

Thanks for the info. I think this forum could answer almost any question I could come up with, RV related or not.

I did the NYC/Yankees/Broadway thing in May while attending Lycoming school in PA. I parked in NJ and took the train to penn station. Used the subway (~$7 pass for the day) and road up to the Bronx to catch the Yankee/Mets game. Later I headed back to Manhattan (WTC Site) and then to 42nd street to see Phantom of the Opera. Awesome day. IMO, Stick to the subway.

- Ron

I took a flight of 7 RV's in 2 years ago for a broadway play and dinner.
Into Linden KLDJ
Short cab to NJ transit train
To Newark Penn, then transfer to PATH train into Midtown.

Having had to commute into NYC in a past life. This is the way to go.
Have a great time.
Best

NYC Must Does

Here is a list of things I recommend when going to New York City. Please note that you can buy an MTA Pass for the day and use the bus and subway system. You should get a subway map to help. Don't be scared to get on the wrong subway. You can get off and back track any time:
-If you see only one play see "Phantom of the Opera"
-Go to "The Top of The Rock". It is the roof of the GE Building/Rockefeller Center.
-When in the Rockefeller Center area take your wife for a walk up and down Fifth Avenue and go into Tiffany, Lord and Taylor, Saks Fifth Avenue and a store called Bendel. If she is like most women she will feel like we do at an airshow.
-Take The Circle Line boat trip around Manhattan Island
-Take the subway to China Town. Check out the shops and restaurants and lottsa people. Little Italy is right next to China Town so go there and "Mangia Italiano".
-Go to the World Trade Center site while in China Town/Little Italy. You are righ there.
-Go to Greenwich Village
-Go to Central Park during the day and walk around. Try to have a drink or lunch at the Boathouse which is in the park.
-Get out of the middle of the city for dinner and go to my favorite, the Upper East Side. Take the Lexington Avenue Subway Line up to 77 Street exit and just walk east and north. You will be in a residential neighborhood (Sex and the City was filmed here) with many,many great restaurants and bars. You can't get lost, it is VERY safe. If you keep going east you will end up at the East River and Carl Shurz Park which is a cool place with Doggie Playgrounds, etc.
-Grab an outdoor table on 2nd or 3rd avenue, have a cold one and watch the people. I have been all over the world and believe me when I say you will have neck pain from all the eye candy. My wife enjoys checking out the assortment of guys too. I highly recommend a place called Willy's on the NR Corner of 80th Street and 2nd Avenue. Generous drinks and GREAT food at a very reasonable price.
-If you want real NYC pizza walk over to 80th and 1st Avenue and look for Village Pizza. They are open 'till 4am and the place hums until closing.
Enjoy!!- Johnny

Back