What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ellison Fluid Systems vs Silver Hawk

Tkitchen1

Hello all, I tried to find previous information but I was not sucessful. I have an O-320 B3B that I want to change to fuel injection. I am building a 9. I like the simplicity of the Ellison system but I like the potential for finer control of the Silver Hawk system. I would like to hear pro's and con's of both. Thank you for any information.

Airflow Performance

I don't own one but I hear nothing but good things about Airflow Performance. Great product and service. The upside to the Silver Hawk is that it is identical to the Bendix, and so it can be serviced by any mechanic.

Hans

...I like the simplicity of the Ellison system but I like the potential for finer control of the Silver Hawk system. I would like to hear pro's and con's of both...
Welcome to the forum.

Back when I was building, I looked very closely at both Ellison and Airflow Performance. In the end I was able to find a carb for my O-290, so that's what I went with.

What I found in my research is that the Ellison is simple, as you said. It doesn't take a high pressure fuel pump, is easy to install, etc. But, it operates just like a carb in that you will not be able to balance the fuel delivery to each cylinder like the Silver Hawk set up.

The Airflow Performance is the ultimate in fuel injection, IMHO. You can balance the fuel delivery, which provides better power, cooling, operation, and fuel consumption. But it does require the expensive high pressure fuel pump.

One other issue to take into account. The Ellison doesn't have hot start issues like a "normal" fuel injection setup.

It all depends on what you want out of your fuel delivery system.

Last edited:
Ellison Time...

I installed an Ellison TBI on my Dad's modified 0-320 RV6 (RV4 wings and tail) after talking with Ken Krueger who had one on his RV6. It started up and ran right off the but but idled poorly. I set the idle mixture per the manual and a phone conversation with the man himself, Mr. Ellison. Once set it is awesome! More power, quicker throttle response and much improved leaning over a carb and simple! You do need a primer as there is no accelerator pump and the mixture cable input is 90 degrees to the TBI (bellcrank works)
Otherwise, I like it, especially as I like to fly alot of "unusual attitudes". Compared with the Bendix system on my HR2 it is alot less moving parts, and as mentioned above, easier to start hot.

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
I have both...

Silver Hawk on my 6 and Ellison on my Bucker. As mentioned above, both have their advantages.
If you plan to take a lot of long trips, the Silver Hawk will pay for itself in fuel savings. If you generally just hop around locally, you can't beat the Ellison for simplicity.
Hot starts are no problem with the Silver Hawk once you figure out the proper technique, which varies from airplane to airplane.

Back