What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corrosion on bare skin surface (prior to painting)

Jon Clements

Well Known Member
I have been building my RV-7 for approximately 18 months and the (reasonably) complete airframe has been located in my hangar for approximately six months.

A couple of months ago a storm blew up and the environment became quite dusty. I brushed some of the dust of the horizontal stab last week and noticed that severe corrosion had set in on the upper skin (where the dust was) but not on the underside.

The corrosion looks like millions of little white squiggly worms and the surface has been etched by the corrosion. I have hand rubbed it with scotchbrite but the etching caused by the corrosion will not remove.

My guess is that the dust (my hangar is located on my farm) is primarily top soil which possibly contains agricultural chemicals. Moist air has then possibly combined with the dust to start the corrosion process.

Can anyone advise me if a similar situation has occurred to them and how they treated the corrosion prior to painting to ensure that I don't "paint in" the corrosion and suffer obvious grief down the track.

It is worth noting that all the skins were Allodined. It is also worth noting that it only occurred on the horizontal stab (the tail end of the fuselage was located closest to the hangar doors where the air changeover occurs at small gaps between the doors)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...?

Cheers

JON

Last edited:
Back