What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two Tone Process

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
As I finalize my paint scheme, I've realized that I've never done any sort of two tone paint job before. I've painted stripes; they're not an issue since I just put the stripe over the base color.

Just so we're all on the same page, I'm using a single stage paint--PPG Concept. Colors are ~white top, red bottom, gray stripe between them.

Now for the questions:

I don't want to paint the whole plane one color with the second color on top of that if I can help it. Too much weight. Do I spray the white first or the red first? Do I just feather the edge of the first color, or mask the edge? If I do just feather the edge of the first color, how do I prep the fogged area prior to spraying the final color over it?

Hope this makes sense.

Guy

Guy,
1.) ALWAYS work from lightest color to darkest color.

2.) Mask everything. Peal the mask after the paint has set a little bit but before it's dry. You want the paint to flow a little and "round" over the edge, not leave a hard edge. Always peal the mask "over" the painted area to make the paint flow away from the edge, then settle back. If you peal away from the painted edge, you will get ragged edges.

3.) Do not fog because it will change your overlying colors (your red will become more intense over the white than over the primer).

4.) Overlap your edges by about 1/8" or so. Darker colors always overlap lighter colors.

5.) I would not recommend tinting your primer, but if you do, don't tint it more than half the final color.

6.) Your second finish coat will always be brighter and more intense (redder reds, bluer blues, etc.) than your first.

7.) And as always...two LIGHT coats are better than one HEAVY coat.

The usual disclaimers apply...

Back