What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arlington Fly-In

mrt890

Well Known Member
Van's put on a forum for the RV-12 on Friday. They announced that the fuselage kit will be available next, probably for Oshkosh. The instrument package will have Garmin 296 now instead of 496. N412RV wasn't there.

MRT890

Did Van explain why the fuselage is next? Or did anyone ask why the sequencing is so different than the other RV's?

Thanks

Pete

p.s. did he mention the 51% decision coming soon? Did you go the Lawrences's (EAA) talk about it?

Arlington

Wing kit No. 22 going together very well. Visited at the Van's booth today and got to sit in the yellow 12. Not much new at the forum except what has already been reported. The fuselage kit is next. I was also informed that current wing kit holders will get first option on the fuselage. According to the folks at the booth, the flight testing has not been completed and they are not going to release the tail kit until everything is right. Everthing is very positive and I continue to be amazed at the improvment of the 12 kit over my RV8 tail kit that I completed and carefully stored away.

Last edited:
296 ... 496?

Does anyone know what happens if a builder already owns a Garmin 496 and Van offers the 296 in the "engine avionics package?" Can we opt out of the GPS part of the package and install, at a savings off the kit package, our own GPS? I would think we would have the option to use a 196, 296, 396, 495 or 496 ... but I may be wrong. I've been wrong before!

With a bit of luck, my wing kit could be completed by the end of this month ... or not. Either way I plan to order kit #2 as soon as it is available, whatever it might consist of.

Last edited:
...Not much new at the forum except what has already been reported. <snip> According to the folks at the booth, the flight testing has not been completed and they are not going to release the tail kit until everything is right...

I still find it quite curious that their flight testing is taking so long... and that they still aren't releasing any specs. Any indication of stall/spin problems maybe holding this up? Between testing taking so long and your statement about the tail kit... it gets me wondering. Don't get me wrong... I'd rather they test and perfect the heck out of it...

I have researched the regs regarding LSA's... but can't find a good answer to the 296/496 question. In my mind it would seem that these are removable, portable devices... and thus not a part of the aircraft. You'd think that it would be interchangeable. If not... from what we've been told, you can upgrade later... so I'd borrow a 296 for inspection/certification... then plug in your own x96 later if so desired. ;)

DJ

Wing kit No. 22 going together very well. Visited at the Van's booth today and got to sit in the yellow 12. Not much new at the forum except what has already been reported. The fuselage kit is next. I was also informed that current wing kit holders will get first option on the fuselage. According to the folks at the booth, the flight testing has not been completed and they are not going to release the tail kit until everything is right. Everthing is very positive and I continue to be amazed at the improvment of the 12 kit over my RV8 tail kit that I completed and carefully stored away.

They are avaiting the availability of the test pilot to complete spin testing on the RV-12 before releasing the tail kit. I suppose he has a day job that is more demanding :)

Any volunteers?

Vern

Nosegars at Arlington

Two things struck me at Arlington...

1) My airplane found the only two potholes in the show..Row 26 my nosegear went down one and popped the screws in my nosewheel cap...and after we abandoned taxiing for manual pulling..the main gear then dropped into the other hole about a foot later...we had to lift the airplane out of that one..Gee

2) I watched a number of nosegear taxiing RV's waay too fast in mine and adjacent rows...I was waiting for the NG bend and subsequent prop strike at any moment as these nosegears did impressions of pogo-sticks. Fortunately none appeared to be damaged but whatching that little wheel flex on the end of the gear was scary!

Guy and gals, treat these NG's like they are made of glass...whatching some of you bounce over the potholed grass like you were driving a C172 simply won't do. It does make me wonder how these airplane flips NG's were treated before the final accident..

Frank

Nose gears?

I am leaning more to-wards a 7 or a 9. With the little wheel in the back, they can fly in and out of about any airstrip. I am kinda glad the nose gear concern came to light before I ordered. Sorry for those who suffered, of coarse. :p

Mike

I have researched the regs regarding LSA's... but can't find a good answer to the 296/496 question. In my mind it would seem that these are removable, portable devices... and thus not a part of the aircraft. You'd think that it would be interchangeable. If not... from what we've been told, you can upgrade later... so I'd borrow a 296 for inspection/certification... then plug in your own x96 later if so desired. ;)

The 496 & 296 use the same data plug, and the same baud settings can be used for an auto-pilot.
Only difference is the XM antenna and audio plug for the 496. Mount is the same too, but probably everyone knows that.. :)

L.Adamson

Garmin 296

That is is one huge jump backward in technology. The 296 screen is very hard to see in our bubble canopies. I am using an AvMap in my -6A connected to a Dynon EFIS and it is great. Great visibility and good presentation of data both on the GPS and EFIS. The 496 is small but very readable with great functionality. I have never been interested in anything other than what Van's was using until now. I know this is cheaper but now I would sure like some options on this (being able to see the display).

Back