What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Verticle to Horizontal Induction Conversion

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Vertical to Horizontal Induction Conversion

I just put a deposit on a rebuilt IO-360-A1A with an Airflow Perf Injection.
I'd like to convert it to horizontal induction using Superiors sump.
Has anyone made this conversion?
Pros/Cons?

TIA

Last edited:
That's already horizontal

Dan,

If it's truly an IO-360-A1A, then it already has horizontal induction. Granted, it would be Lycoming sump if it's stock, but the IO-360-A* series has a horizontal, fwd-facing, cold air induction sump.

Is your goal specifically to use the Superior sump, or is it just horizontal induction that you're after?

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Either way, weather you have an O-360-AA with fuel injection or a real IO-360-A1A, as far as I know, the only things you might encounter are exhaust system interference fit, air box interference fit and throttle cable attachment to the sump issues. Never did it, but those are possible issues that have been presented by some that have installed the engine with the RYTON horizontal sump before.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Dan,
It may have been rebuilt with the FI and retained the vertical induction.
Could it be a O-360A1A with FI?
I already have Van's scoopless cowl, & after talking to Superior they said it would be about $1700 retail for their sump...
Van's catalog specify using a different exhaust system when ordering their FWF kit.
I was thinking I may just have to change the cables, exhaust & airbox.
Engines are weak point for me so I'm trying to get educated here. I'll be picking the engine up at the end of the month & will have someone knowledgable with AC engines.

Dan

DanLandry said:
Dan,
It may have been rebuilt with the FI and retained the vertical induction.
Could it be a O-360A1A with FI?

Yep, that's a common conversion.

)_( Dan

Some things that would be required (Some previously mentioned.) all assuming you already have FI:
Different fuel lines from the firewall to the servo.
Different fuel line from the servo to the fuel distributor/spider (?).
New mixture & throttle cables and brackets. VANs sells brackets that I would recommend. They seem pricey at first look, but are well worth it, especially the nicely engineered mixture assembly. (It is VAN's THROTTLE/MIX KIT
Part Number = IO-360 THROTTLE/MIX
Price = $95.00)
Appropriate exhaust for your plane and sump combination.
FYI - I used the A.E.R O. Aviation (800-362-3044) sump on my ECI Titan engine and it worked out great. It came with the induction manifolds, O rings and gaskets. One note, though, you might have an experimental engine as a result of the change, unless you go with Lycoming parts. However, these parts may be able to be used on a certificated engine and the engine still remain certificated. I don't know. You might also look at ECI's new sump, which is different and supposed to be lighter. I have seen pictures of it on their site, eci2fly.com , but haven't seen one in person. They are all supposed to fit the Lycoming 360, since their Titan engine is a 360 clone. They even advise you to use the Lycoming OH manuals, etc.
Good luck

The easiest way to tell is if it's an angle valve or parallel valve. The IO-360A1A (Mooney M20e & f engine) is an angle valve with the horizontal sump. The O-360A1A (Mooney M20c & d, common conversion engine for Cessna 172 & 177) is Parallel valve vertical induction. The other obvious difference is rated HP, 180 Vs. 200.

I have a O-235/290/320 type sump I'm thinking about converting to cold-air induction, front loading. We'll see how it works out. :D

Eci

I just had this conversation with Joe at ECI asking to purchase the sump
and fuel injection systems they just came out with, ( I have done some
business with him already) he said they will not selll just the sump or Fuel
injection without purchasing the engine.. I have tried several times to
get him to do that.. company policy he said.. I want the sump and
fuel injection really bad..

Danny..

godspeed said:
I just had this conversation with Joe at ECI asking to purchase the sump
and fuel injection systems they just came out with, ( I have done some
business with him already) he said they will not selll just the sump or Fuel
injection without purchasing the engine.. I have tried several times to
get him to do that.. company policy he said.. I want the sump and
fuel injection really bad..

Danny..

I think thats because the sump for the ECI cold air is more shallow than the Lyc sump. Therefore the oil pickup has to be modified in the engine as well. What I was planning on doing was cutting out the intake tubes, as well as the sides of the sump. Then allowing about the middle 1/2 of the sump to remain the stock depth. This should allow the same amount of oil to be stored as with the induction system. Then I'd weld slightly sloped siding on from where the sump screws onto the engine to about halfway down the height of the new middle, and then striaght down from there. The induction would become two log manafolds (Like a continental) witha front loading bracket for FI servo. The bracket and "Y" pipe would be fixed onto the sump (Probably welded as well) with the log manafolds coming off either side attached with the same intake tube adapters that an O-470 uses.

What do you think guys, too ambitious? Once I do that stuff, I need someone to test fly it :)

osxuser said:
The easiest way to tell is if it's an angle valve or parallel valve. The IO-360A1A (Mooney M20e & f engine) is an angle valve with the horizontal sump. The O-360A1A (Mooney M20c & d, common conversion engine for Cessna 172 & 177) is Parallel valve vertical induction. The other obvious difference is rated HP, 180 Vs. 200.

It is a parallel valve vertical induction w/ 180hp
I checked the model# and it is a O-360A1A converted to FI when OH.

Back