What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Fairing Hinge Pin Insertion

tinman

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a clue as to how one goes about inserting the gear leg fairing hinge pin? It looks like the wheel must be removed in order to do so.

Just bend it around the tire and run it up from the bottom. There's plenty of room there and plenty of bend in the pin.

Gear fairing hinge pin

The gear leg fairing pin is very flexible and you can slide it in/out with the wheel fairings on. I have no prolem with it.

f1rocket said:
Just bend it around the tire and run it up from the bottom. There's plenty of room there and plenty of bend in the pin.
It works, but it is a pain in the a@@ ;-)

This might be impractical for your plane, but on mine if I remove the upper intersection fairing I can rotate the gearleg fairing enough to make the pin much easier to get in and out.

Steve Zicree

Make sure you use the right hinge ...

I tried putting my right gear leg fairing on a couple of weeks ago, and decided that I would probably have to take the wheel off to do it. After reading these messages, I decided to try again. I grabbed my gear leg fairings, and noted with horror that one of them has a larger diameter hinge pin than the other one. :(

My left one, with the correct hinge, goes on without too much trouble. I'm going to have another go at my right one tomorrow, but I'm not too optimistic.

Back