What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield - Leather or vinyl?

MS19087

Well Known Member
After painting flat black, I'm not so crazy about the look/finish. Now considering gluing vinyl (flat black - I have a really nice piece). Any ideas on how this will hold up versus leather?? Ideas?
Thanks!

glare shield

When I ordered my Aviator interior Leather package from CAD, I ordered the leather glare shield at that time (delivery date, end of July?). Just thought that a shield of some kind would made the panel a little easier to view. How long will it last over vinyl? I have no idea. I think it should last as long as vinyl. That being said, I'll have my plane in a hanger, so excess exposure will be minimal. Regards.

I used carpet...

For what its worth, I used carpet in my Kitfox and will likely use it again in the -8 for both the glareshield and floor (I also covered the forward sidewalls in the Kitfox). You can find carpet with about 1/8-3/16" nap in auto electronics stores and some auto stores. This carpet is used for interiors and covering speakers.

The carpet comes in many colors, is easy to put down with velcro, tape or glue and is cheap; and holds up very well. It also is pretty much a surface that you can lay stuff on and it won't simply slide off (probably won't hold your glasses during that wifferdill though).

My 2 cents worth, H

After painting flat black, I'm not so crazy about the look/finish. Now considering gluing vinyl (flat black - I have a really nice piece). Any ideas on how this will hold up versus leather?? Ideas?
Thanks!

Mark, I can't relay much to you on the durability of vinyl but that is what I used on Black Magic and will use again when I get the forward deck installed. With that said, be sure and use a good glue that will hold up to the temps it will see. I got my vinyl and adhesive from a auto trim shop. The glue they recommended is called Jetbond 99 Trim Adhesive. The shop used this glue for attaching vinyl to rooftops..........yes, I guess there are still vinyl tops:eek: It is advertised as High Heat Resistance and worked on my ol black airplane........for 49.2 hours:(

Synthetic Material

Contact Classic Aero Designs. They have this stuff called (I think) Columbia and it won't shrink or curl in the sun. Glue it down. Looks and feels like leather but won't crack either.

I used it and although not flying yet, looks really good. Get some of the edge pinch stuff too.

Leather or vinyl

I think leather is a better choice. Seems to me that there is some issue with vinyl in the sun and gasses it releases and it's affect on the plexi.
Might check with your windshield supplier or Vans.

I would shoot for the leather--about the same weight and nice smell compared to vinyl. Also, if properly cared for (meaning NO silicones, Armour All, etc) it will last just about forever. Well, a long time anyway. I did my panel in leather and love it. You can always tell 'em it cut your noise level by .002 Db!

Bob Kelly

Neither

I bought a bolt of black loop Velcro and used that. It feels like velvet and works great to hold my GPS and XM antennas, pencils and anything else I put the hook Velcro on.

Glare Shield

Personally, I went for light weight and did a low gloss, not quite flat black. (I think it may have been called "Satin".) Looked much better than flat black. Can't remember the brand, but it worked for me. Got if from the Hardware Store in a rattle can.

Myflat black painted glareshield gets almost hot to the touch in direct sunlight. It seems the velcro idea would really reduce the heat buildup. How would the other ideas affect that?

I did mine in leather as well and I'm really happy with it. The flip-side is that I don't have any idea on long term maintainability.

This is a lousy shot but it' the interior of the dash with the canopy off: http://adap.com/images/P7210008.JPG. CAD did my interior and I was able to get some black leather from them as well as the edge welt.

Jim

Suede

I used a piece of black faux suede on the RV-8. I was really happy with the look and feel of it, and plan to use the same on the RV-7.

I did mine in leather as well and I'm really happy with it. The flip-side is that I don't have any idea on long term maintainability.

Jim

I have used Leatherique for years on leather car seats and am using it on my Classic Aero seats and instrument panel. See leatherique.com It's not cheap, but then again, neither are the seats. I used mottled spray normally used for trunk interiors on my glare shield. It is very low glare. Go to http://www.classicaerodesigns.com/web/public/CC/CC2.asp?G=D54A6AF081FF4203982D3EAC1A00FFCE if you want some pictures of my interior.

Bob Kelly

How about using felt? Light, comes in a variety of colors, inexpensive, and available at just about any hobby or sewing store. You can tack it in place with a good double sided tape.

I bought a bolt of black loop Velcro and used that. It feels like velvet and works great to hold my GPS and XM antennas, pencils and anything else I put the hook Velcro on.
PS. I've got a bunch of Velcro left as I had to buy 15 yards of the stuff, minimum order quantity and all.

If any of you would like some, send me an email. $25, including shipping, for enough to do a SbS RV. Did I mention this stuff was expensive?

Lots of Options

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the inexpensive yet highly durable vinyl glareshield treatment sold by Cleaveland and installed in uncounted RV's:

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GSF15

Its installation in my -6A looks as good now as it did when I glued it in place with Pliobond adhesive several years ago. This time around however, I wanted something a bit different than the familiar cookie cutter pinch welt treatment that is usually sold with the glareshield vinyl. I found a perfect solution with a look and feel that works for me. I simply slit a length of black air hose and used that as pinch welt. For my -8, I prefer its more rounded look to the familiar flattened shape and texture of the traditional welt although I did find a use for the common welt. I installed it along the bottom edge of the Plexiglas before fiberglassing the windscreen into place. By "floating" it into place to conform to the curvature of the upper skin, it serves as any other moulding does....as an accent to hide gaps.

Last edited:
Back