What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where's Pete

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
While I'm anxiously awaiting my APRS equipment to come it, I did some checking up on Pete to compare the APRS to Flightaware.

Since he asks the question himself on his signature, I consider him fair game for learning more!!
Pete
RV-9A N789PH 305 Hrs
St. Paul, MN
Where in the world is Pete?
Track me!

I ran his call sign on Flightaware and it came up on May 4th and it looked like this:

flighttrackmapof2.gif

Compare it to the APRS reporting the same day. Click on link and select the month, then the day.

http://aprs.fi/?call=N789PH&dt=1209859200&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

Nothing else on Flightaware since, but he does have APRS info since then.

Does this mean that Flightaware is only valid if you:
A - File a flightplan
B - Pick up flight following
C - Have to get a squawk code due to airspace
D - Does anyone really know why Flightaware doesn't have any flights listed since then?

Ever feel like big brother is watching??

flightaware

i use flightaware to track commercial flights for my job and it seems recently that within minutes of a flight landing that they do not have much of a record of it. it used to be that it would show that it had landed say 30 minutes ago but now they just show the next day's flight. granted there is much about the service i do not know or use so it could be in there somewhere. i just use it for commercial flights.
leon
well i just proved myself wrong by hitting refresh on a flight i was tracking and had minimized from about 2 hours ago and it showed up. what can i say. sometimes it does not work how i think it should. that is all.

FlightAware and APRS

I have found FlightAware to be very reliable for commercial flights and for general aviation IFR flights. I used to track NASA 3 a lot (before NASA sold it) because NASA 3 made frequent trips between Huntsville and Ogden, Utah.

Here's a quote from the FlightAware home page...

"View & track activity for any private (IFR) or commercial flight
See scheduled, enroute, and recent flight activity for any airport."

My last long cross country in my 172 (VFR flight plan) was tracked accurately from Decatur Pryor Field to Massey Air Ranch near Daytona Beach (a non-stop with a tailwind). But the return trip included a stop at Moultrie, GA and Flightaware only tracked the last part of it...and showed me arriving at Moultrie and departing a few minutes later from Valdosta!

Looks like APRS is more reliable for our type of flying, at least from what I've seen so far.

Don

Just Checked Myself

Based on what it shows for me, it appears that you may only be tracked by FlightAware when you are identified by tail number in the FAA system (i.e., have a discreet transponder code). The reason I say that is because at KJYO you can not do pattern work without a discreet code you obtain from clearance, but you fly into and out of KJYO with a special '1200' code without contacting FAA (except you need to have filed a flight plan). (It would make sense if you are familiar with the ADIZ procedures around here!) I have flown since the time I flew with that discreet code and I do not appear in the system. Big brother is watching, make no mistake about it!

Leon,

After a flight is complete, Flightaware automatically "selects" the next scheduled flight. If you scroll down the tracking page to the "Activity Log" section, you can view historical flights.

For instance, http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT541 shows me the next scheduled flight for FFT541, which is tonight. Down in the "Activity Log", I can view the tracks from the last few days by clicking on the line that I want to see.

David

While I'm anxiously awaiting my APRS equipment to come it, I did some checking up on Pete to compare the APRS to Flightaware.

Since he asks the question himself on his signature, I consider him fair game for learning more!!
Pete
RV-9A N789PH 305 Hrs
St. Paul, MN
Where in the world is Pete?
Track me!

I ran his call sign on Flightaware and it came up on May 4th and it looked like this:

flighttrackmapof2.gif

Compare it to the APRS reporting the same day. Click on link and select the month, then the day.

http://aprs.fi/?call=N789PH&dt=1209859200&mt=m&z=11&timerange=3600

Nothing else on Flightaware since, but he does have APRS info since then.

Does this mean that Flightaware is only valid if you:
A - File a flightplan
B - Pick up flight following
C - Have to get a squawk code due to airspace
D - Does anyone really know why Flightaware doesn't have any flights listed since then?

Ever feel like big brother is watching??

This came up on another thread - even on a vfr flight following with ATC using your tail number, they don't always show up in "the system". I don't know that there is a pattern. If I had to guess, sometimes flight following means that they put your route in the "system", in which case it will show up on flightaware. However, sometimes they follow you without having your flight programmed into the computer, in which case it doesn't show up in flightaware.

Back