What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Suppression ideas

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
I am looking for info on folks who have installed a fire suppression system.
We lost a very experienced thorp builder/pilot and badly burned a replica mustang owner this week in an engine out crash. They both survived the crash but were hurt badly when a hydro line was hit and fuel ignited. To cut to the chase, the pilot lost his life due to burns, and the passenger ran to a home on fire and has a tough road ahead. Very sad story, that could happen to any of us.
Great folks, good pilots, just bad luck. Makes one stop and think.

Anyway, there was an article in the latest kitplanes and there must be some installations out there that are reasonably priced that are worth considering. My prelim research shows that some of these halon systems can be bought and installed for less than $500.The weight of a few pounds can be made up by having a few less beers if one is really concered about a few pounds. I know there is nothing that is fool proof, but...a fuel fire is a horrible way to go and seems so sad if one has managed a survivable landing. Just wondered if i could free load off some others research. Thanks.

Just wondering what others have done and looking for ideas worth considering.

Fire.

I've been kicking around the idea of AFFF. Aqueous Film Forming Foam. Haven't done much research though. I think it's used on some Indy and Nascar race cars. Could be wrong tho. Saw some setups in one of the Hot Rod Catalogues. (Summit????) They had systems would discharge into two areas; the engine and cockpit.

Seems to me that it might be a lot better on an in-flight fire as it wouldn't dissipate as rapidly as Halon.

Maybe someone has done some research and can educate us.:D

Basic fire chemistry requires 4 elements, fuel, oxygen, heat, and chemical reaction.

Halon interferes with the chemical reaction, and a bit of oxygen displacement.

But, Halon doesnt stick around very long------and if there is still heat, and fuel when the Halon goes away, guess what happens.

By the way, Halon can also interfere with breathing.

All that said, Halon can put out a fire, if you use enough, and keep enough where the fire is. Pretty hard to do under the cowl at speed. Better chance of working in the cabin.

Whatever you use, shutting off the fuel source is absolutely mandatory to prevent re-ignition.

Good luck, do your homework before you commit to a system.

Firewall fwd the halon would be flushed out by the cooling air faster than it could be introduced. That being said I would sure like to have something if there was a fire. Maybe the round cooling air inlet guys could come up with a variable position cone like the eastern block fighters or SR 71 had to block the incoming air when the fire handle is pulled.

The aqueous foam is good and some guys are using it in race cars now. Bad thing is it does not work if the water freezes.:(

AFFF

Ross:

Freezing isn't a problem for me. Thankfully, I live in Georgia and I begin feeling cold below 20*C!:D

Certainly there is no one product that will solve all issues, and there are just some issues that no system can help with due to it being so catostrophic and fast...but, just thought there might be some good ideas or products worth considering. Shutting off fuel, halon in short blasts, ventiliation after fire out etc..just want some more thoughts. We have all heard of pilots landing fairly safely and then perishing due to trapped with fire, and/or burned in their seats...that is more of what i am looking at than a major fire in flight.
Much appreciated, keep it going.

Jegs- Fire Bottle

5 LB fire bottle, rechargeable( probably not good), space age FE-36 (help Paul), mounting bracket, stainless steel tubing and mounting bracket all for 396.99. Might be worth checking into.
10 LB bottle and above 542.99

Good luck.

Back