What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building Partner - I miss him

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Folks - I shed tears tonight. I was working in the factory and had to put down the tools when I looked up at a picture on the wall and keep hearing a familiar voice in the back of a my mind that was muttering, assemble and "remove".

I was reading how to post a picture and for a first try, I thought I would pay tribute to one of the finest gentleman I have ever known. JB Horne passed away recently to cancer and until now, I it's been hard to talk about him.

I moved to Jackson a little over 2 years ago. This "old guy" came up from the house behind us to introduce himself. He heard the noise of a rivet gun, and knocked on the shop door. Being a bit of a handyman, he was fascinated by wing spars in a stand. Needless to say, I had an instant bucking buddy and he helped me put in every rivet in the wings and fuselage. We fussed and cussed over the canopy. According to his daughters (4 of them), my RV gave him inspiration to live and he was around for a lot longer than they had expected.

My last vist with him was in the hospital when he was getting ready for hospice and I brought him a copy of the firewall forward plans. He told the family to get out of the room and we talked about what was next. We also talked about life and it was one of the few times you get to say goodbye to somebody you love.

In the last 2 years, I've spent over a 1,000 hours with the guy and I feel like I've lost my best friend. My only regret is that he won't get to fly in the RV but I guarantee you he will be there in spirit.

So, here's to you JB. I miss you........

Perhaps others will take a moment out to share a tribute to those that held the bucking bar for them.

photo

If the picture didn't show, here is the site
http://picasaweb.google.com/Wickfourth/200802Feb/photo#5213053386804018322

Last edited:
Here's to you, Webb, for paying tribute to your friend JB Horne. Good friends are very special in life and you lucked out.

Thanks David

Here's to you, Webb, for paying tribute to your friend JB Horne. Good friends are very special in life and you lucked out.

In JB's own words - mumble mumble, where's the picture? One of these days I'm going to figure it out.....until then, mumble mumble. Indeed, he was one of the great ones.

Last edited:
Very Nice tribute

Life is short. Cherish family and friends. You now a project that is special and holds increased meaning. He will be on the wings as you fly...

What a nice post. From the sound of it he had a love for building as strong as any that came before him. It is fitting that he appear here... Maybe Juliet Bravo in your N number would be a nice tribute.

That's a wonderful post, Webb. Your words make us all feel the loss of your build-buddy. We feel for you and his family.

Lost my Dad, mentor and best friend midstream in my build, He was a great rivet bucker and true craftsman in the beginning, alzheimers left him with a look of confusion while holding a bucking bar a year later, cancer relieved him of that burden after another 6 months. I feel your sorrow and pain...I have a little picture of me and him in the shop sitting on my tool shelf right next to the bench, I find myself asking him too many times lately while finishing.."What we gonna do here Pop?" My sincere condolences for your loss.

My father in law, Calvin Gaede, took me to my first EAA meeting back when I was merely his daughter's boyfriend, circa 1977. I'd never heard of it and thought it was pretty cool.

Moved him in with us to spend his last year in the mid 90's....congestive heart failure. He was pretty much confined to bed, so whatever I built in the shop I carried into the house at night so we could talk about it.

Long as I owned that biplane, nobody ever flew in the front cockpit. That was Cal's seat. I like to think he did some serious grinnin' when we landing at OSH.

Webb,

Great post...JB would be proud!

Let's see if this picture works:

JB
jbxa9.jpg

And thanks for the opportunity to add a little tribute to my Dad, Vic. He gave me my start in aviation back in college as I was struggling with a direction. Invited me to take a Private Pilot sim class with him at the junior college, which we really enjoyed together (at a time when 19 year-olds don't spend nearly enough time with their old man), then offered to help with lessons. Long story short, I became an aero major, got my tickets and thus my Dad launched the 30+ year career and life-passion that flying became.

Dad also took flying lessons over the years (some from me prior to joining the Navy) and we always had a great time and bond in the cockpit. He was taken a few years ago by leukemia at 73, but was fit and fightin' all the way to the end. Though he never had the chance to see my RV, I know he'd love it, and I take him with me every time I go up. I often wish I could see the RV Grin that I know he wears up there.

Oh yeah, also need to give him credit for giving me my initials..."RV"...maybe he knew something I didn't (wouldn't be the first time!) :)

Thanks for the great post Webb, and for the opportunity to say "Thanks, Dad!"

Cheers,

Robert V. (Bob) Mills
"Rocket" RV-6
N600SS
4SD

Last edited:
Thank you

From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the others that have offered kind words.

It seems this thread is in 2 parts. It has been moved to RV Friends Who Have Passed On and seperated from the replies. I'm sure that they will somehow catch up with each other.

I honestly didn't think that it would still hurt this badly when I typed it up last night. After reading replies this morning, it seems that a good catharsis of emotions is still happening. The emotions we "tough" guys keep bottled up seem to rear their heads after several weeks when we have time to reflect and contemplate life.

Last night, the bride went to Destin to delivery several large orders of our product "Stingmate" and make some sales calls. After working on the other love in my life, I sat down on the porch, poured a couple of fingers of good bourbon on the rocks, put my feet up, and lit a Montecristo. The younger dog sat beside me and life was good. As I have said for years, the best thing about a good cigar is the time it gives you to contemplate. I had time to thank the Maker for all the good things around me and think about what I had to do to finish wiring. Dog-gone-it. I wish JB was here to help hold the bucking bar on the support for the the pitch servo. That's when it started. Oh boy.

Do me a favor, take 2 minutes out of your day today, stop what you are doing, and call your building buddy on the phone just to say thanks. Won't cost a thing, and you'll make their day. If it's your spouse, you might even make them suspicous (lol).

Thank you Bob Mills for getting that picture to post. If you can, would you mind telling me how you did it. I know I'm close but just don't quite have the technique.

Again thanks guys.

Too Late

Three Two Juliet Bravo has a nice ring to it!

I would have requested Juliet Bravo for the call sign but reserved N32WW almost 2 years ago and it is officially registered. Not being one to attempt a second try at the FAA, I think I will find another way.

He was cremated and ashes recently spread on a friends pond where he used to wet a line. Only evidence left on earth are the friends and memories he left behind. I suspect that I'll place an old well worn photo in the map box so he can ride along too.

Loss of a friend...

While your friend didn't have a chance to fly in the RV, I'm sure he's been fitted with his own set of wings.

Our deepest condolences go to you and his family.

Pictures

Webb,

Feet up on the porch after a day of building, with a good cigar and a nice sunset paints a very nice picture. Those moments are truly gifts, and no doubt JB was there sharing it with you. He does live on in your work and your memories.

As for pictures (the posting kind), I also pulled my hair out on that one. Got a few right, then seemed only to be able to post a link on other tries. Finally got it after trial and (many) errors. I've been using Imageshack per the "how to" notes on the forum, but would like to try Picassa per some other folks posts as well. So far, best method is:

I open a second IE Browser window and go to Imageshack.

On the Imageshack site:

- Fill in the required blanks, and check (or uncheck) any selections you want (like resize, remove size block, etc.)
- Browse for the picture you want, and select it.
- Hit "Host It"
- When the page refreshes, find the "Direct Link to Image" URL, highlight and copy it.
- Go back to the VAF Forum window where you are writing your reply, but don't just paste the URL into your reply at this point...that just inserts the URL in your post, and not the picture (I did that in error several times). Instead, when the cursor is where you want the picture in your reply, hit the "Insert Image" button (the mountain sunset box).
- When the little window opens, it already has an http:// written in it, so I just backspace to get rid of it. If you don't do that little step, you get two http:// in the pasted URL and it won't work.
- Once you get rid of the first http://, paste in your URL and hit OK, and it inserts the photo, and everyone will see the picture.

Here's that pic of JB, to get it in this part of your thread:

JB
jbhc5.jpg

I saw the thread split last night too, and wondered about that. Maybe DR can kluge the two toghether and make them one. It's a great thread, and really touches on the spirit of our passion and the brotherhood of the flying community!

Looking forward to seeing "Sting" take to the air, with JB's spirit at your side!

I'll give you a holler if I get any JAN overnights on the job...I'll bring the Monte's!

All the best!

Bob

Webb, there's a dedication to my father on one of my wing spar webs. No one will see it while the plane is in flying condition, but I'll know it's there - and I hope somewhere he knows it too. Maybe something similar would work for you.

As for remembering the all the helpers, it's been my plan to put the names of all the assistants on the tail once the plane is painted. But it may be a catch-22; I'll need a bigger plane, which will require more helpers, and so on...

I'm glad you found someone like that and mourn your loss.

Ok Bob

Monte's are on me - Just come to visit. Stop at MBO which is closer to home than JAN and much cheaper too.

Picture attempt #2: Taa Daaaaaaaa
jbtm5.jpg

Hey - it worked!!! You guys are in trouble now (lol) This is JB standing when we were test fitting the wings.

I have "In Memory of . . ." on the right side of the slider. Almost everyone notices (you can see their eyes) yet not too many ask. I like it when they do and know they "know" when they don't. I figure it's my flying billboard and I can acknowledge whom I want. You might consider that. Sounds like a guy who deserved some recognition, and you have done that well.

Bob Kelly

Webb, your work area is too large, and too clean! Are you trying for the "Rudi" award?

Last edited:
Thats the carport

Webb, your work area is too large, and too clean! Are you trying for the "Rudi" award?

The real shop is behind the double doors off the garage. Not quite as empty as the garage either. However, it is air conditioned, has TV, and fridge full of cold frosties.

Isn't this forum wonderful!! Nothing I've ever found compares to the sharing and compassion in these threads. Times like this is when we all shine. What a great bunch of people.

Monte's are on me - Just come to visit. Stop at MBO which is closer to home than JAN and much cheaper too.

Hey - it worked!!! You guys are in trouble now (lol) This is JB standing when we were test fitting the wings.

Sounds good Webb! We layover at JAN, but I'll make the trip to MBO to see you and "Sting" if I can grab a JAN trip!

Oh, and even if that's not the shop the carport is too clean also! :) Doubt I could fit a wing in my garage (on the honey-do list when the panel gets finished)!

I like the thoughts folks have posted of tributes carried on or in their aircraft...gotta come up with one...great idea!

Great thread!

Cheers,
Bob

You've got a place to stay - might put you to work!!

Sounds good Webb! We layover at JAN, but I'll make the trip to MBO to see you and "Sting" if I can grab a JAN trip!

Oh, and even if that's not the shop the carport is too clean also! :) Doubt I could fit a wing in my garage (on the honey-do list when the panel gets finished)!

I like the thoughts folks have posted of tributes carried on or in their aircraft...gotta come up with one...great idea!

Great thread!

Cheers,
Bob

MBO is the Madison airport in north Jackson. M16 is in Raymond just west and has the cheapest fuel (where my hanger is too).

Door's open and welcome mat is out. Depending on when you stop by, you might need to go to M16. My hanger is C2 (still empty) but I'm hoping in about a month or so to start filling it up.

Meanwhile, this Monte's for you.......
wbwdestineditedma0.jpg

Great day at the beach.

Nice beach...

Don't want to shift the focus of this thread too much...it's too good of a topic, and I know you hope others chime in with similar stories.

But nice beach! What part of Jackson, MS is that in!?! Oh, wait...you must be out doing some arduous "field research" for StingMate! Somebody's gotta do it!!

Now...back to JB's thread! ;)

All the best,
Bob

Back to the focus

Don't want to shift the focus of this thread too much...it's too good of a topic, and I know you hope others chime in with similar stories.

But nice beach! What part of Jackson, MS is that in!?! Oh, wait...you must be out doing some arduous "field research" for StingMate! Somebody's gotta do it!!

Now...back to JB's thread! ;)

All the best,
Bob

So true....however so true to how JB was. He would have fussed at us for talking about him because his focus would have been carrying on comaradarie.

I'm not at all surprised that Dear ole Dad claims the top of the chart for most as their building partner. My father is 600 miles away. That's one of the reasons I'm working so hard on it so I have an easy traveler to see him more often. JB was my regular building partner. Dad would be if he were physically here.

The only other to help me build on this plane was my father. The folks were stopping by on the way to Florida. He and I built the flaps that weekend. If he lived close by, it would have been finished last year. I wouldn't have been able to keep him out of my shop, nor would I have wanted to. Best part, I know what he would have touched would have been right. He's that kind of guy. The man is a nuclear physicist (honest), worked as an engineer for IBM, and can fix darn near anything you put before him. It also didn't hurt that he is a pilot. He gave it up about 20 years ago after (near age 70) felt his reflexes had slowed and was having trouble copying a controllers clearance. Needless to say, in some ways it would be nice to come home from work and find out that all the holes on a skin would have been dimpled, deburred, and clecoed back in place ready to rivet but not done yet because he didn't have 6 foot long arms.

Funny part - every time I talk to him on the phone (about 3 times a week), the FIRST words out of his mouth are "whatcha done on the plane?" Ironically, when I first started this project, he was a bit doubtful. Then as the tail started to take shape and I emailed him pictures, he changed his tune. As the wings progressed he got more excited. Now, I think he is more excited than I am. He also slipped me a little check to make sure that some things were upgraded to the level he would have them. He didn't believe you should owe money on anything and my wallet was only thick enough to afford more modest components.

Perhaps one of the best things I did was to copy the folding plans out of the manual and mail it to him. I did the same for JB. Both of those guys studied them and I think they knew more of what was in there than me. It helped JB understand and made him a better building partner. It also gave Dad a point of reference when we talked on the phone. Funny part - I got more questions out of Pop for doing it. BTW - giving your building partner a small set of plans is a great idea. It might help you prevent a mistake along the way and when they look at the big set, you don't have to explain everything you are planning to do or looking at. They have taken the time to understand before they get there and the time spent with you is constructive and not figuring it out what you are doing. BTW - got a thumbs up on the electrical schematic...and several questions too.

As a true compliment to Van's - Dad has studied the plans, read about the plane, and has concluded that this is a fine airplane and worthy of the build. This is from a man that built a Benson Gyrocoptor, flew it 3 feet off the ground, described it as trying to sit on an upside down Coke bottle, and sold it immediately for fear that the next flight might be his last!!!!

As I type this, you are probably beginning to notice similarities. Most people you know don't fall far from the family tree. Both of us are pilots, he built a gyrocoptor, I built a plane. We're both hams, golf, fish, build furniture. Many others too..... I credit the ability to build an RV to the mechanical things he taught me growing up.

So in the true spirit of salutes - Here's to you Dad from your number one fan. Also, the lady in the picture might have an edge over him when it comes to admiration.

Oh yah - Go Big Blue

pollyboblu0.jpg

Thanks everyone

jbtm5.jpg

QUOTE]

I raised a toast tonight to this guy. My building buddy that passed away several months ago. N32WW will be officially off to the paint shop tomorrow. I could not have completed the slow build without him.

My wife brought out the original picture tonight that I posted of JB early in this thread and I thought I was going to cry.

I regret that he didn't live long enough to have an RV grin but I will tape that picture in the plane below the right seat and there it will stay.

It's hard to believe that building is drawing to a close. After paint, it goes to the hanger for assembly and then the fun stuff starts.

Call me sentimental but I thought I would take a moment to tell others thanks. My wife for giving me the time to build. My Dad for his support and teaching me how to do something. JB for his endless spirit, companionship, friendship, and help even when he was looking dying. And you folks out there for the how to's and tips when I just couldn't figure it out and when insomnia was king with something to look at in the middle of the night.

Later and again, thanks.

Back