What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket for first-time builder?

stroke

I'm New Here
I am looking at possibly building a Rocket, but I have never built an airplane before. Would you guys recommend this? What are the pros and cons of building a rocket vs. and RV?

Lots of Rockets have been built by first time builders, but there is a huge variation in the abilities and attitudes of builders. Some builders need hand holding to do anything - they expect detailed instructions and plans, parts that fit perfectly, etc. Other builders just need to understand what it is that they are trying to accomplish, and they are prepared to puzzle their way through things to make it happen. Most people are somewhere in between. Where in this spectrum of ability and attitude do you fall?

Also, there are more than one kind of Rocket. There is the original Harmon Rocket II, where you start with most of an RV-4 kit, plus some plans and parts from John Harmon. This project is probably more difficult than an RV-4. Alternatively, there is the F1 Rocket, which is a whole new aircraft, closely based on the Harmon Rocket II. It comes as a quickbuild kit, I believe. I'm not familiar with the plans and kit quality, but I suspect (to be confirmed), that it is a much easier (and more expensive) project than building a Harmon Rocket II. Which Rocket are you interested in?

Last edited:
The F1 Rocket is a good plane to build with exceptional support from Team Rocket's Mark Fredricks and lots of on line help.

If you want an idea of what it takes to build a F1 Rocket, go to my web site. I documented the entire build process from first kit to flying in a step-by-step manner. That should at least give you some idea of the effort and skills involved.

It doesn't take any magic. The skill are common to all aluminum aircraft, but the F1 plans are not as specific as Van's plans. With all the web assistance out there, that's not usually a problem. It will take more effort to build a Harmon than a F1, but the Harmon will be much less expensive to complete. All fly great.

Good luck. PS - about half the F1 builders are first timers, and the rest are repeat builders who usually built a Van's airplane.

I understand that the F1 Rocket is a quickbuild. But to save money, I'm considering going the slow route and build a Harmon Rocket II. The thing that concerns me as a complete airplane building newb is no matched hole rivets in the -4. So that is one thing that concerns me. And another is how much harder would the HRII be than the -4?

On the Harmon Rocket website, I see builders featured who took 10-12 years to build their rocket. Is this typical?

2-4-1

My Harmon Rocket was built alongside another in the early 90's with both builders helping each other. Time start to finish was 4 years for both flying. My RV4 took me 6 years but I was moving alot and raising a family.

You might shop for a partially completed HR2 project which could save alot of time which is money saved, if you value your time.

Smokey
HR2

PS: What type of flying experience do you have?

Last edited:
I'd hold off on the rocket for a while and look for a nice used RV-4 or -6 to get some time in similar aircraft, and more tailwheel time. Not that it can't be done, but you have a lot better idea what you are getting into after maintaining one for awhile, and also probably have a good idea of what equipment you want, and any mods you'd want to do.

Hold off on the Rocket? No way. Get started ASAP and find a tailwheel plane to fly while you're building it! Yeah, that's the ticket.

Randy has a great F1 website, but if you're going the slow, build it yourself from almost scratch, then go to my website and start reading.

Regardless of what you choose, get started or you'll never finish!!

Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
www.vincesrocket.com

1st time builder

Do the Rocket. I started my Evo Rocket project with approx 250 hours mainly in 172's with commercial instrument. Find instruction in a RV-6 or 7. (Not easy to find). Start building time. At about the 30 - 40 hour mark of tailwheel time in the 6 or 7, you will be set to go. The Rocket is an awesome airplane and extremely stable.

Is Mark still doing the F1 ? . Last I heard the Czeck rep was too expensive and they stopped contracting to him. I read somewhere on this forum he was looking for a new manufacturer for the quickbuilt. Dont shoot the messenger, this is what I heard.

Back