What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912ULS

steve wyman

Well Known Member
I didn't have much luck with my first post on the site, so this time I'll try to offer some info instead of requesting the same. For 2 years now, I have been flying my RANS S-7S with a Rotax 912 up front. I don't mean to set myself up as some kind of guru or expert, but after 200 hundred hours on the engine, I do feel pretty comfortable with its care and feeding. If any of you RV-12 builders have any questions about the engine, I will be glad to try and provide an answer or at least steer you in the right direction. By the way, it's a little gem of an engine. I'll of course be putting another one in my RV-12.

Rotax

I've flown behind the Rotax for two years too. Most flights out of Lockwood Aviation at Sebring FL. They are Rotax dealers and the ASA DVD on Rotax was made there with Phil Lockwood while I watched. All the sport planes I've flown are powered by Rotax; Tecnam Sierra, Tecnam Super Echo, Allegro Fantasy Air 2007 and the Remos G-3.

I do have the rv-12 wing kit. Just started my build today with the help of a "repeat offender".

I saw your post about the dimensions and just wasn't sure which dimensions you need. Not sure where the spar flanges are or which hole you need measured. Feel free to private message me or e-mail or call me (I'll give you my phone # via e-mail ... [email protected] ) I just don't want to give you the wrong measurements. :)

Auto Mixture

Hi Steve

I'm just getting back in this thing called aviation after 10 years and all this LSA stuff is very new to me.

So my question is this, do the Roatx engines have some kind automatic fuel mixture setting built in? I noticed on pictures of the RV-12, that it only has a throttle, no mixture. How does it work and is it as efficient as a manual mixture?

Soory for the noobie question, but my "Googleing" has let me down.:(

Cheers
Damian

So my question is this, do the Roatx engines have some kind automatic fuel mixture setting built in?
Damian,

The answer to your question is, Yes. The 912 engine has two altitude compensating carburetors. This eliminates the need for a mixture control.

Damian- I fly my 912 at Denver's altitude and have been to 15,000 with my Rans. The engine mixture self compensates beautifully at all these altitudes. And yes, there is just one "power" lever for both throttles. Steve
Hi Steve

I'm just getting back in this thing called aviation after 10 years and all this LSA stuff is very new to me.

So my question is this, do the Roatx engines have some kind automatic fuel mixture setting built in? I noticed on pictures of the RV-12, that it only has a throttle, no mixture. How does it work and is it as efficient as a manual mixture?

Soory for the noobie question, but my "Googleing" has let me down.:(

Cheers
Damian

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder...

Why build another LSA? Do you keep the old one, or sell it and move on to the new one?

I'm a new pilot considering my options, and I've flown a few different RANS plans, and I also considering VANS (obviously, since I'm on this website).

So, what were your considerations in deciding to build the RV-12 after having a nicely flying S7S?

Thanks.

The simple answer is I'm bored! I retired 3 years ago from Continental, and for the first year, I built the Rans. I love flying the S-7, but I miss building it. After I finish the RV-12, I'll have to decide which one to keep. I can't afford two airplanes, and I don't want to have to find out how much a divorce costs these days. Steve
Why build another LSA? Do you keep the old one, or sell it and move on to the new one?

I'm a new pilot considering my options, and I've flown a few different RANS plans, and I also considering VANS (obviously, since I'm on this website).

So, what were your considerations in deciding to build the RV-12 after having a nicely flying S7S?

Thanks.

Damian- I fly my 912 at Denver's altitude and have been to 15,000 with my Rans. The engine mixture self compensates beautifully at all these altitudes. And yes, there is just one "power" lever for both throttles. Steve

Thanks Steve.

Now that I know what I'm looking for, ie the right words to put in google, I have found out all about it and how it works.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Damian

>... For 2 years now, I have been flying my RANS S-7S with a Rotax 912 up front. I don't mean to set myself up as some kind of guru or expert, but after 200 hundred hours on the engine, I do feel pretty comfortable with its care and feeding. ...

What fuel do you use, 100 LL or mogas?

Regards -- Dean

Flying out of my home airport, I use only auto fuel that I get from the local gas station. I burn hi test, 91 octane. Here in Colorado that means it will have 10% ethanol in it. The folks at Lockwood assure me that's OK and the engine seems quite happy on it. If I go on a trip with the airplane, I use 100LL. I don't drain the tanks or anything- I just add the 100LL to whatever is in the tank. This presents no problems. As long as you're not using 100LL more than 30% of the time, you will be able to use the normal oil and oil interval changes. If you use 100LL more than 30% of the time, you have to use a mineral based motorcycle oil and change it more often. Steve

Dean, I use auto gas (91 octane) when I fly from my home airport. Since I live in Colorado, that means 10% ethanol. I fuel the airplane from 5 gallon jerry cans that I fill at the local gas station. The people at Lockwood tell me that the 10% ethanol should cause no problems and my experience has born that out. When I go on a trip, I fill up with 100LL. I don't drain the tanks or anything, I just add the 100LL to whatever is in the tanks. This causes no problems. If you wind up using 100LL more than 30% of the time, you need to change to mineral based motorcycle oil (it has gear box additives) and make your oil changes more frequentally. Steve
What fuel do you use, 100 LL or mogas?

Regards -- Dean

Rotax has a bulliten out for a new approved oil from aeroshell called Sport plus 4 specifically designed for the 912/914. Allows 100ll or Auto fuel without the lead deposit problem. Been using it since it came out, cost about $7.10 shipped to my door per liter.

Incidentally, been using alcohol laden fuel for 10+ years in the 912's. Doesn't bother them at all.

Jeromie- Since you're using the new Aeroshell oil, what oil change interval are you using? I'm curious also as to whether you're using mostly auto gas or 1ooLL . If 100LL , how do your plugs look? Thanks Steve
Rotax has a bulliten out for a new approved oil from aeroshell called Sport plus 4 specifically designed for the 912/914. Allows 100ll or Auto fuel without the lead deposit problem. Been using it since it came out, cost about $7.10 shipped to my door per liter.

Incidentally, been using alcohol laden fuel for 10+ years in the 912's. Doesn't bother them at all.

>...

How do you know that the fuel that you are buying in Richland, WA has ethanol in it? Did you test it? Did Richland have a winter oxygenate requirement?

I live in central Oregon and people here told me that 76 and Chevron had ethanol in it "all the time". I tested it winter and summer, it never had ethanol in it, until Oregon went mandated E10.

Thanks for the info about the AeroShell oil, good news.

Back