What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder in Tampa, Florida Area

cyberpilot10

Well Known Member
I am a new builder. I live in the Tampa, Florida area. Plant City, Florida
I have an RV8 emp. Kit and want to get started. Wanted to know if anyone in the area is building. I would like to see your project and maybe help buck a couple of rivets. Also looking to see if a previous builder would like to sale there tools.......
Thanks
Rich Denton

Builder in Bartow

Hey Rich

Welcome to the club!!

I am building a -4 (thats half of an -8),:rolleyes: anytime that you want to come over, just let me know, I can always use a rivit bucker!:D

MIke Bauer
RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC Building

Welcome Rich!

I fly out of PCM quite often, but not in a RV. We'll fix that problem one of these days. :) As far as RV builders in the area, I haven't come across many. I do know that there is a -7A nearing completion at PCM, and I'm sure you could poke your head in to introduce yourself to the builder. Other than that, I do not believe that there are any RV's based at PCM. LAL has at least one, as does X49 (South Lakeland.)

Sounds like you're just getting started, but if you need help bucking a few rivets some day (that goes for you too, Mike,) feel free to holler.

All the best,
Ryan

Rich,
There is a lot of RV activity in Winter Haven (KGIF) 20 miles or so west of Plant City. I am flying a recently completed RV8A. 15 or so other RV's on the field. Give me a call if interested.
Dick
863-521-9060

Thanks for the Welcome. I am sure you all will hear from me soon. I Have a full auto body shop at my house, I build and paint old hot rods. If any of you have a need for body and paint work let me know. I have inventoried the Emp. Kit only, so far. Got to get the cars out to finance the RV8.

Welcome Rich

I am beginning my finish kit on a slow build 7A in Kissimmee (1 1/2 hour drive or 20 minute flight to KISM). Building it in my garage as most of us do. Although you are beginning an 8, everything up to the fuselage is practically the same as the 7. You are welcome to contact me or come by anytime. I'm in the RV white pages.

Hey Rich,

I'm building an 8 with the fastback mod. Live on South Lakeland Airport. Not far from Plant city. Might want to trade off some paint work, since I really suck at it.

I forgot to mention that there are 3 of us here at this airport building RV's, myself and another stock 8 QB, and a 7QB. Mine's a slo build. Give a call and come on over.

Calvin Arter Jr
863 670 6199

Last edited:
Thanks for the Welcome. I am sure you all will hear from me soon. I Have a full auto body shop at my house, I build and paint old hot rods. If any of you have a need for body and paint work let me know. I have inventoried the Emp. Kit only, so far. Got to get the cars out to finance the RV8.

I may be a bit too far north for your taste up here in Winter Springs (just north of orlando). However, you are welcome to stop by if you are in the neighborhood and check out my 8A project. Also Tony Johnson on this list is close to finishing his 8A (he's in Orlando).

Regardng the painting: the timing for your post couln't have been better. I have a replacement BMW front bumper (still in the box) that needs some paint. I wouldn't mind throwing some business the way of a fellow RVer. Please give me a call if you are interested.

NO RVs in LAL........ :)

LAL has

1 RV8 (me)
2 RV8a
1 RV7a
1 RV4
1 RV6a

Even have 2 thorps with 2 Scratch build gurus and one under construction. The thorp builder knows how to buck cause he helped me.....

X49 has
1 RV9a
1 RV9a under construction
1 RV9 (LSA)
1 RV6
2 RV10 under construction
2 RV8 under construction

And there are a couple more in Lakeland that I have not seen yet.
We have a guru at LAL that has had his hand on 7 RVs so drop me a PM.
We are at the hanger most Sundays around 8AM to go flying and we meet at Wing House in LAL every Tuesday night.

Happy hour is at my hanger on most Friday nights.

Heck.....Plantcity is West Lakeland aint it ??

With Over 5000 RVs we have our share :)

Sal
N898SC

Sal

I am friends with Ed at LAL. Right behind Donny Halls Hanger, He has a Yellow RV4 and a Green L4 Champ. I talked to him at Sun-n-Fun and he told me about you. I didn't just want to stop by. I will be out there on Saturday. Are you going to be around?

Calvin

Do you know a guy named Steve out there at South Lakeland. My Wife and I know him from Vandenburg Airport. I heard that he moved out there. Last I heard he had a Grumen Tiger. He does some computer stuff for Flight Sims.
If you do Tell him that Cammie and Rich said hi. My wife is a Airbus Capt. for Jet Blue. I would love to come out there and check out what you all are building. I will give you a call.....

Thanks.

RV8A in Orlando

Rich,
I am building an RV8A in Orlando. It is on the gear with the engine mounted but there is much left to be done. You are welcome to stop by anytime. I am just south of Jorge who is also building an 8A.

If you are referring to Stefan King, who flys into Vandenburg to go to work at the flight sim place in Tampa, he is flying an arrow now which he bases at ORL. Stefan is building a 7. Stafan and Jorge have been kind enough to help me with my project when I need muscle or extra hands. Jorge can substitute for an engine hoist :)

So, you have a paint booth at your house? Be careful, you might have a long line of RV guys there soon. One of the greatest assets an RV community can have is a good paint booth and a guy who knows how to use it.

Tony

RVs in Tampa Bay area

I have a newly completed RV-7A at PIE (St Pete-Clearwater) just out of the paint shop. Looking for other RVers in the area who are meeting for $150 hamburgers (increased fuel costs no longer make it just a $100) or other fly out breakfasts.

Bill Near

FD33

I fly one of the 2 Harmon Rockets in FL out of The Green Swamp Aerodrome, 10nm North of LAL. If you're up boring holes sometime, come dust my house off! 122.22

Smokey
RV4 built and flown 1500 hours, sold.
HR2

I have a newly completed RV-7A at PIE (St Pete-Clearwater) just out of the paint shop. Looking for other RVers in the area who are meeting for $150 hamburgers (increased fuel costs no longer make it just a $100) or other fly out breakfasts.

Bill Near

Hi Bill,
I'd love to meet you for breakfast. Let's get together.
You just missed a great flyin breakfast at SPG the first Sat of the month.
$10 all you can eat.
BTW, I used to live in Seminole at 91st St/ 125thAve.

Hi Bill, I have a 9-A that is completed and is over at ZPH for its 25 hours. I hope to move it to PIE in the next month I live in Seminole. I have a friend who is also building a 9-A about a mile from my house and will be done this early this fall.
Jim Nelson

Hi Bill, I have a 9-A that is completed and is over at ZPH for its 25 hours. I hope to move it to PIE in the next month I live in Seminole. I have a friend who is also building a 9-A about a mile from my house and will be done this early this fall.
Jim Nelson

Congrats on your first flight. Didn't you have an Europa previously. Gordo, with the V-Tail, has been keeping me up to date on your progress the last year. Let me know when you're out at ZPH, I'd like to stop by. I'm out there a few times a week fueling up.

Sorry for taking so long.

Hi Dan and Jim: Sorry to be so long in getting back to you gents. I was in Italy for a couple weeks in early July so I totally missed your post Dan. Looks like there are quite a few RV builders in the area. We should be able to organize a fly-out breakfast or something to that effect. Jim: do you already have a hanger at PIE? If not, there is one for sale at PIE. Dan: I live across from Lake Seminole Park.

Great to hear from you guys. Hopefully we can get some sort of group together for fly-out type functions so we all have another excuse to fly somewhere.

Bill Near
RV-7A flying.

CBRXXDRV and all...hello everyone! My name is Joel and I am a KC-135 pilot at MacDill in Tampa who has recently moved to the area. I've been looking at purchasing an RV-8 lately, and although I'd love to build one the whole relocation every 3 or 4 year thing the Air Force loves so much is forcing me to look at already built RV aircraft. Very familiar to flying for fun (over 1000 hours in cessnas (dont know I can say that word on here ;) ) , I'm looking more into the experimental side of the house and was wondering if I might be able to drop in to a hangar one day and shoot down our wristwatches for a little while. Just doing some research right now tying to figure out exaclty what I want to get, what you guys recommend and what to watch out for...plus I miss just hanging out at a hangar with some other guys who still like to fly by looking out the window! I live in south tampa and currently fly out of Peter O Knight just renting whenever I can find the time. Thanks guys and I'll keep an eye out for ya when I'm in the MacDill pattern!

Joel

Joel

I was a Jet Mech on C141's at Charleston AFB for a while.... My wife is a Airbus 320 Captain.... Flying runs in the Family I quess... someone has to make money so I can build the RV8....
We have a great bunch of guys at Lakeland Airport just off of I4 and County Line road... I think it is Exit 25. there is a little happy hour every friday night weather permitting.... It a cutting up good time.. PS: don't wear your feelings on your sleeve around here..... If you are interested some time.
there is a RV8, RV8A, and RV4 you can take a look at. Call me, We can meet up or I can tell you how to get there.

See ya
Rich Denton
813-785-6919 Cell#

Rich,
I'd definately be interested in meeting up on a friday night..I'm familiar with the airport as I've actually lived in FL for quite some time now (I went to college in Daytona at Emby Riddle) and have been to a good share of Sun N'Fun's. At the moment I'm on a 30 day deployment to the Middle East, however I get home this Tuesday so maybe one Friday in the next week or two we might be able to get together. Dont think the harrasment will be a problem..haha..I'm used to it being a younger guy in this business. I'll be sure to give you a call when I get back...Thanks a bunch!

Joel Leveille
386-451-9752

RVs in Tampa Bay area

Rich,

I just saw this thread, I'm building an RV-9A over in Brandon, FL on the weekends.

Sarasota, FL here ...

Hi Rich ... Sarasota, FL here. :) I just finished building my RV-12 wing kit and have my forward fuselage kit on order. So far it's been fun, educational and frustrating. But mostly fun. I fly out of Sebring (Tecnam) and KSRQ (Remos G-3).

Good luck on your build and if you ever pass thru Sarasota feel free to stop by and chat. PM me for particulars.

Jerry

Back