What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: One piece glass canopy skirt pics

carguy614

Well Known Member
Hi all...
As promised, I am posting finished pics of my canopy skirt. No luck with the aluminum stuff, so I laid up the whole shebang all at once using 3 layers of bid cloth, and one layer of carbon fiber sandwiched in between the bid layers. This resulted in a thin but stiff skirt that fits great and looks pretty nice too. Used the taped up fuse as a plug for the skirt, as is the method others have used. If I had it to do over, I might make it a couple of layers thicker, and forgo the carbon. I just used the CF because a friend gave me a scrap to fiddle with a few years back. Nice tight fit, and it closes like a refrigerator door. Took about 40 hours to make, and 2 hours to prime and paint. I've had dozens of Emails about this subject, and promised I would post finished pics after paint was done. I must say, I am very happy with the results, and plan to do the same thing on my next plane. Be glad to answer any questions you may have on how it was done.

Fuse is all painted now, and ready to move to the airport. On to painting the wings. Looks like it might fly next month!!

All the best...Chris

[img=http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5241/dsc00660ax9.th.jpg]

Back