What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ExperimentalAero DRDT-2

Bill Britton

Well Known Member
Hello everyone. I'm a new builder (just purchased RV-10 kit #40137 secondhand) with absolutely no aluminum sheetmetal experience. I purchased the ExperimentalAero DRDT-2 dimpler and received it today. After about 20 minutes to put it together I cut a couple sample pieces of sheet and drilled my holes. Then I put the tool to work and let me tell you it was awesome. The holes were dimpled just right (depth) and every one of them was exactly like the next!!!!! Very consistent machine with less user fatigue than the "Mallet" type and definitely much quieter. Check out their website at www.experimentalaero.com.

This is a tool that is definitely worth the money!!!

Bill Britton
RV-10 Emp

I built my own DRDT-1 from Paul's plans.

DSCN1092.jpg

He offers the "Front end kit" which includes plans and hardware. From those items you can build your very own DRDT-1. The difference is that the first design, as you can see is made from I-Beam. The new -2 units are from HSS (Hollow Structural Steel).

I am thrilled with mine. In the end, it cost me much less than the Avery smash dimpler, but I do have some sweat equity into it.

:cool: CJ

:cool:

Thanks... I cut the I-Beam with, get this:

A circular saw!

I chucked a metal cutting abrasive wheel in an old saw and went to town on it! It worked VERY well! I finished the angles off with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and VIOLA!

I have a handy, dandy MIG (GMAW Gas Metal Arc Welder) that serves me quit well for small jobs like this.

Give it a try for yourself!

If I can do it, it ain't that hard.

:D CJ

You young whipper-snappers have all these neat new gadgets now-a-days! Why, in my day, we drilled all our holes by hand....and dimpled 'em with our teeth! AND WE LIKED IT!!!!

;)

Regards

Back