What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternate Oil Temp Probe Location

cguarino

Well Known Member
I'm installing an engine monitor that uses a small 1/8 NPT oil temp sensor. I don't want to remove my current oil temp probe on the oil filter adapter to install this sensor. Is there another location on a Lycoming AEIO-320 that I can use for this sensor. There is a 1/8 NPT hole that is plugged on the upper left side of the accessory case that appears to be in an oil passage. Would this work? How about a tee in one of the oil cooler lines? Should it go on the cooler inlet or outlet? Thanks.

Not going to work

Ok, the 1/8 NPT port is in a great location but the probe is too long for the passage. It bottoms out before the threads engage. Any other ideas? I'm thinking I'm back to a tee in the oil cooler line. I'm guessing that would be the top hose that I'd want to put the tee in. Thanks in advance.

I installed a 1/8 NPT probe for my back-up oil temp gauge as shown in the photo:

OilPress.jpg

In my 0-320 at least, there is a large space under the plug that fills with oil. The back-up gauge reads about 5 degrees less than the engine monitor but this could be due to gauge inaccuracies rather than different oil temperatures?? Installation involved removing the plug, then drilling and tapping it for 1/8 NTP. I am no engine expert so I can't guarantee there are no unforeseen problems with this. However I did consult an aircraft engine shop first and they thought it would be OK.
Note. For the eagle-eyed, the plug is correctly safety wired. You are seeing the "Tail" of the twisted wire. Also the grey, fine line from the sender to the outside of the plug is not a crack rather just a piece of rubbish cotton thread that must have come off a cleaning cloth.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Back