What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jekyll Island, GA

Jamie

Well Known Member
My wife and I decided to take a short overnight trip down to Jekyll Island, Georgia on Memorial Day weekend. Saturday I was busy with another trip in the RV so we decided to head out Sunday and return Monday.

Jekyll Island is an interesting place. It was at one time a retreat for America's wealthiest individuals. Almost all of the old buildings still stand in pristine condition. In one of these buildings some of the nation's elite bankers met to organize the Federal Reserve System.

Here we are approaching the coast line.
DSC01409.JPG

Electric cars are available for rent directly at the airport from a company called Red Bug Motors. If you're going down on a busy weekend (like we did) it's best to call ahead and reserve a car. The people that run the operation there are pilots and super nice.

The cars are more than sufficient for getting around the island. The cars max out at 25mph and the maximum speed limit on the island is 35mph, so you never really feel like you're holding up traffic or anything. All of the hotels have parking spots reserved with outlets for charging.
DSC01422.JPG

Here is one of the trails that leads to the northern shore.
DSC01428.JPG

Here my son and I are hiking/walking the north shore. This shore is unlike anything I've ever seen before. It's full of drift wood dead oak trees. It's quite surreal. It's apparently caused by a tidal creek carrying salt water inland which erodes the soil and kills the trees. When the tide goes out, the creek flows back out and washes the dead trees out into the ocean, which then get deposited back on the shore.
DSC01430.JPG

Upon taking off we did a tour of the island. It's a small island so it doesn't take long. This is looking up the coast. The island in the distance is St. Simon's Island. It's much more developed than Jekyll. It has an airport too so it's on our radar.
DSC01479.JPG

The arch-shaped structure in this photo is the Days-Inn where we stayed. The bridge seen here is the only one connecting Jekyll to the mainland.
DSC01482.JPG

In short, Jekyll is a neat place. If you're the type that likes 5 star accommodations, this is probably not the place for you. We didn't check out the Jekyll Island Club because honestly we're not the type that likes to get dressed up for dinner, but if that's your thing it may be worth it. It's also not a place where you'll see lots of tourist shops, etc. which is fine by me.

If you have a folding bike that fits in your RV it would be an ideal day trip. There are also plenty of bike rental places around the island.

There's also a water park on the island that we didn't visit, but that may be a decent idea if you have pre-teens or teenagers.

I would highly recommend Zach's Eats and Treats for some mom and pop pizza. I would stay away from Blackbeard's Seafood. ;)

Last edited:
Jekyll Island

Jamie--- great pics. Nice, peaceful place to visit.

And, by the way, good-lookin boy on your back.(He gets used to riding tandem, you know what that might lead to). :) :)

What a great trip write up

Jamie,
Thanks for the fantastic trip write up. Vicki and I lived on St. Simons Island for one year and it brings back memories. I learned to fly there back in 1980. As you stated, St. Simons is more developed, but it is well worth the trip. The Malcolm McKinnon airport is nice and I think that you can still get a rental car there. Today I riveted the cockpit rails into my 8A. Stories like yours really help power that rivet gun.
Peace & love

jeckyll club

never wore a tie to dinner at the jeckyll club hotel. i have been going there for years and find it a great - call the hotel and a van will pick you up from the airport. i have found some great deals there off-season that include breakfast. for a bunch of fun rent a bike and ride it on the beach.

Got the T-Shirt...

Nice Pics Jamie! Was there a month ago and stayed in a cottage at the JIC for 1/2 price on a Wednesday. (working on weekends has it's advantages) Richard even gave us a free Red Bug! Here are a couple we took with my iPhone...

Rob Ray
Harmon Rocket Dos

Cottage, no cheese!

RV-MORE!

Last edited:
Jamie -

I was on the beach at Jekyll and believe I saw your RV fly over! I know I saw an RV fly over with a white scheme on it while I was flying my 3m kite.

I was on the beach at Jekyll and believe I saw your RV fly over! I know I saw an RV fly over with a white scheme on it while I was flying my 3m kite.

It could have been us. There was another RV inbound when we were leaving. BTW: One thing I forgot to mention was to be very careful about deer. My first take-off attempt was aborted because 5 or 6 of them walked out on the runway in front of me! Second attempt I almost got a couple of big white birds (not sure what they were).

How do you guys travel with the little one in the RV. I have a 17 month old and have thought about this in the past and would like to hear how you guys do it. Does he ride in mamas arms with the car seat in cargo...also how does he tolerate the noise (any hearing protection?). Thanks and great pics!!

Corey

I grew up in Brunswick and spent many summer days out on Jekyll and St. Simon's Island. Brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for the post.

How do you guys travel with the little one in the RV. I have a 17 month old and have thought about this in the past and would like to hear how you guys do it. Does he ride in mamas arms with the car seat in cargo...also how does he tolerate the noise (any hearing protection?). Thanks and great pics!!

The "Snugli" that I'm wearing in the picture goes on mom's chest. He rides in the Snugli firmly attached to mom. This isn't a long term solution obviously and won't work when he gets bigger (or when/if we have another child), which is why I'm seriously playing with ideas in my head about how to get a 4-seater for such trips. I'm currently looking at renting a Diamond DA-40 vs. building an RV-10 (which means selling my pride and joy), vs. buying a share in a 172.

For hearing protection we use these and I fly at about 50% power to bring the noise level down.

Back