What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CATTO 3 Blade Performance?

More than Van's...

......numbers, David. Craig said that I would. My -6A will true 204 MPH solo, WOT at 7500, since I asked for max cruise pitch. 200-201 two up.

Regards,

I'm truing 201 mph @ 75% and I have my prop set up for a little on the climb side since I fly out of a 1500' runway in Texas.

Last edited:
......numbers, David. Craig said that I would. My -6A will true 204 MPH solo, WOT at 7500, since I asked for max cruise pitch. 200-201 two up.

Regards,

Hi, Guys! It really helps when you quote speed numbers to give all the details, such as baro altitude+OAT or dalt, MAP if available, definitely rpm, and sea-level HP, and if your pitot-static system has been calibrated with GPS. Please!

Better than Van's

175.4 kts = 202 mph at 2650 rpm at 75% which is higher than 8000 DA, closer to 9k. I have since adjusted aileron droop and might be going 2 kts faster, but unverified yet.

This speed observation based on NTPS 3-way method done on two different days with less than 0.5 kts difference. MAP is accurate per IFR certification instruments. OAT is accurate per darkroom thermometer checked vs. AWOS. Power % based on GRT table for which the values taken from Superior's graph in engine manual.

SJ cowl, plenum and wheel pants. Catto 3 blade, re-pitched from what Craig sent the first time. He got it just right for my preferences.

Last edited:
WOT at 8000 DA give 187mph, which is I believe what Van's says. It is faster at higher altitude, which surprises me. 9A w/160hp lyc and 3 blade Catto.

Bob Kelly

Thank you...

Thanks for the information.

Clearly, the Catto is a good compromise between cost, performance and good looks.

Best mine will do is about 172.5 kts at 8500 WOT leaned to 50F ROP (2640 RPM). Prop is 66 x 76 3 blade on 180 hp IO-360. Agreed, Catto is a trade off between cost and performance. But it's smoooooth.

Like Chris I am also interested in how Cato's prop performs in rain.....in the real world. Since I live in Florida rain damage is certainly a concern when considering a composite/wood prop over a metal prop.

Jim Kinsey
Fuselage/Finish

Fish and Chips...

I bought Craigs first 2 blade RV prop for my RV4 in 99'. Performance was the best prop I tried with 150 horses. Craig is a stand up guy and has a great product and I was glad to purchase his product, very experimental for RV's at that time. During testing I flew it through rain at reduced power settings (<2200) per Craigs instructions at that time. I still managed to chip the leading edge paint down to the wood. I sent it back, got it refinished and installed Tennessee propellers clear leading edge prop tape from their website. I applied it per their instructions and it worked great. It did however have a small, noticeable effect on performance, about a 1% decrease across the board. I called this acceptable at the time.
I removed the 150HP engine, installed a 170HP with an MT fixed pitch as the final prop. The MT equalled the Catto and was nearly rain proof at any power setting.

Rob Ray
HR2 w/River boat paddle Hartzell

Here are my recent numbers

Catto 3 blade 66x74 (new style)

Weight as tested 1435#
level on autopilot at 8500'DA 2700RPM 177kts TAS
Desnsity altitude and TAS as reported by AFS3500EE

Engine is standard compression 180HP.

Last edited:
Back