What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Lock

N13BN

Well Known Member
The canopy on 283RV is of the tip-over design. Has anyone come up with a simple way to lock it, in order to provide some overnight security.

Bill Newkirk

The simplest way to secure a tip-up is to drill a hole in the tab that sticks through the fuselage and put a small padlock on it.

Just do something to protect the paint.

RE:Tip up lock....not simple

Bill

This is my solution. Not simple but I believe effective. Dodge Dakota Junk Yard Truck lock set provided the parts.

[URL=http://g.imageshack

Frank @ 1L8 .... RV7A .....last 999 details

The simplest way to secure a tip-up is to drill a hole in the tab that sticks through the fuselage and put a small padlock on it.

Just do something to protect the paint.
Bill,

Sorry, I just re-read your post. You were asking about an RV-3 tip-OVER, not a tip-UP. This idea may not work for you.

Frank;
Your locking mechanism will not work for me, but what an elegant solution.

Bill

RE:Detail

Bill

Man isn't it always in the detail......:eek:.......Good luck in you search for the tip over solution....

Frank @ 1L8.....RV7A....last 995 details

Frank;
Your locking mechanism will not work for me, but what an elegant solution.

Bill

As I recall Vans shows a solution in the plans. Basicly a tab pop riveted on to to the fwd latch rod that is captured by a keyed locking mech. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I willl take a picture of mine. I used it for a while then realized that if someone wanted to get into my RV they could just break the canopy and cause me some real grief.
Tom
RV3 x 2
2000+ hours

Agreed- keeping only the honest people out

I used it for a while then realized that if someone wanted to get into my RV they could just break the canopy and cause me some real grief.

If someone wants to steal my radios, I'd rather have them do that than break my canopy and steal my radios.... :rolleyes:

The locks are nice, but in general they only keep the honest folks out. Something to be said for keeping your canopy shut at fly-ins so folks can see in, but not mess with stuff and accidentally break something.

If someone wants to steal my radios, I'd rather have them do that than break my canopy and steal my radios.... :rolleyes:

The locks are nice, but in general they only keep the honest folks out. Something to be said for keeping your canopy shut at fly-ins so folks can see in, but not mess with stuff and accidentally break something.
Or flip on a master and leave it on to see the EFIS and EMS light up, like happened to me. Lucky for me I returned to the plane and found it lit up like a Christmas tree before the battery was run down.

Geez Bill, now that's bold of some folks....

Like I said, "the honest folks" just being goofy. Sure they made no harm, but not having battery power wouldn't exactly have made your day!

Tom, at your convenience, could you post a picture of yours.
The point of not locking it at all also makes a lot of sense.

Bill

Two locks required by FAA

I seem to recall some requirement by FAA that aircraft be secured by two locks. The keyed ignition switch counts as one, and a canopy lock would count for the other.

If I recall correctly, this was some kind of anti-theft step to try and curb a/c thefts for drug import.

Anyone corroborate this?

Steve
RV-8QB FWF

Don't know but....

I seem to recall some requirement by FAA that aircraft be secured by two locks. The keyed ignition switch counts as one, and a canopy lock would count for the other.

If I recall correctly, this was some kind of anti-theft step to try and curb a/c thefts for drug import.

Anyone corroborate this?

Steve
RV-8QB FWF

Another pilot at the FBO I was talking to told me about 3 months ago (and he may have been blowing smoke) there was a new law that when you park at a field, the plane be must be locked when unattended. Something about a large fine (5 grand) if the security guard is walking around and finds your unattended plane unlocked (National Security issue) such as when it is parked on the ramp overnight.

Bogus or is something we all need to be aware of?

Wouldn't be surprised about a single lock requirement. HOWEVER, very few ignition locks in twins and larger corporate a/c, jets included. We're having a TSA meeting with the feds next week, will ask.
tm

Spoke with TSA people yesterday, appears to be no truth to the rumor about dual locks being requied for g/a aircraft at this time.
tm

The canopy on 283RV is of the tip-over design. Has anyone come up with a simple way to lock it, in order to provide some overnight security.

Bill Newkirk

I put a locking Aeronca door-lock mechanism in the center-top-rear of the canopy. I had a lock shop make both my ignition lock and the canopy lock use the same key. I got some of the silvered, bubble-pack-looking insulating material to make an internal canopy cover. It is supported inside the canopy on two music-wire struts that run for and aft and bow up across the middle from side-to-side, and the edges are held in place with Velcro pads. This keeps people from looking into your cockpit to see what's in there as well as minimizing solar heating!

correction, two locks VOLUNTARY

In the interest of accuracy, I thought I would report back on my post about the requirement for two locks. Apparently, the TSA regulation is VOLUNTARY.
However, it seems that New Jersey has made it a requirement and Pennsylvania is trying to do that also, although AOPA is fighting it.

So, locking your cockpit is still at your discretion.

Back