What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Napa 7220 self-etch primer

Alan A

More builders seem to be using the Napa 7220 self-etch primer. I would like to hear from you regarding how you have prepared the the primer for the final top coat on your interior surfaces.

Are you placing a final coat on each piece soon after the primer? What are you using?

If it is months (or years) later - what are you doing to remove oils, ect, before the final coat?

Also interested

I am using 7220 as well. Seems to work well.
I would also like to know what people have used as a top coat.

Primer Issues from NAPA

You might want to read the site http://www.tabshred.com/moe/primer.htm
Some research on self etching primer - see the bottom of the page and they weren't too keen on the NAPA brand.

btw - you can buy the Tempo Self Etch from www.airsuppliers.com for less than 5 bucks a can.

For what's its worth - I've tried the PPG product and the Tempo product and have to say the Tempo spray lays on a much nicer coat.

Webb
RV7A - N32WW

7220 primer

Hi guys:

I have used 7220 extensively for years with extremely good results on aluminum and steel parts of my RV-4. Here is my application process:

1. Clean the component with PPG Wax and Grease Remover or Dupont 3812S reducer.

2. Lightly scothbrite the component.

3. Clean again with PPG or Dupont.

4. Spray with 7220.

I have used 7220 entirely on the internal aluminum parts of the RV-4 (now flying 5 years and 500 hours). After about a week it sets up very hard. I have topcoated it with AlumaGrip polyurethane with excellent adhesion results on the interior parts of my RV-4. I have also topcoated it with PPG acrylic urethane with good results also (however acrylic urethane is much more brittle than polyurethane).

I am using 7220 again on the internal components of my RV-7 under construction. The downside is that the price is now $9.95 a can in the local area.

Free to good home.

This should probably go in the classified section, but it is on subject. I have two cases (12 cans) of the 7220 primer that I bought for my now defunct RV-3 project. Free for the taking if you'll pick up or meet me somewhere close. I'm in Fruitland, ID, which is about an hour West of Boise on the Oregon/Idaho border.

Back