What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictures of your Lightspeed 'brain-box" installation

MS19087

Well Known Member
I've check the treads and found no pictures of typical LSI brain box installs. I'm looking at various options but want ti make sure that I select the right place. Current thinking is either mounted in center & top of FW on cabin side OR mounting on ribs between FW and subpanel. Either way, I assume I want the connectors facing side to side. Thanks for you input.

Firewall Recess

Mine is mounted on the cabin side of the F-601 Firewall Recess. Use 4 screws for mounting and seal the holes with RTV at install. The 2 primary leads to the ignition coils use their own firewall pentration and are not run with other wires due to possible RF. You will also have to T off of your MP line and bring that inside the cabin for the LSE unit. Hope this helps...

Pics sent

I've check the treads and found no pictures of typical LSI brain box installs. I'm looking at various options but want ti make sure that I select the right place. Current thinking is either mounted in center & top of FW on cabin side OR mounting on ribs between FW and subpanel. Either way, I assume I want the connectors facing side to side. Thanks for you input.
I emailed you pics of LS installations with an attached Zip file about 4.1 Mb. Enjoy

Sorry for the crummy picture, but here is how I did it:

There are two 3/4 angles from the firewall to the sub panel, and the boxes mount to those.

I emailed you pics of LS installations with an attached Zip file about 4.1 Mb. Enjoy
Oo! Could I get a copy. I've got IIIs with the flywheel sensor and the manual diagrams and pics aren't really clear how the sensor wires hook up. And I'd also like to see the MP hookup.

Don't look at my wiring, but...

Look on the left side of the image.

You can see the black box mounted on the web of the support for the top skin. The image is looking from the FW looking back.

This image is looking from the outboard (right side of the plane). Note the platenut (two showing) in the four corners of the box. Held in place with 4 screws.

Enjoy... Kent

PlasmaIIINewBrackets.JPG

That's a pic of my dual Lightspeed CDIs mounted on a shelf directly behind my instrument panel on my Rocket. Klaus said it was OK to stack them, just make sure you give them about 1/2 inch breathing room for cooling.

More pics.

Here's a picture of my installation. This is mounted between the firewall and sub-panel. It's hinged at the firewall so I can drop it down for access.

I'm actually set up for dual Lightspeeds even though I plan on running w/ 1 LSE and 1 Mag for at least 100 hours.

If you look closely at the second picture, you can see the #2 brainbox mounted upside down on the bottom of the shelf (it just looks like a black shadow in the pic).

I originally had the brain boxes turned in the opposite direction (d-sub in the rear) but the wires from the crank sensor were too short, so I had to do some re-configuration.

lse1lu9.jpg

lse1ayi4.jpg

Back