What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KY: Rough River vs. Kentucky Dam

bergroup

I'm planning a 2 day getaway early next month and need advice.

Based on hiking, scenery and accommodations only, would you folks recommend Rough River or Kentucky Dam?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Camping?

Although I live VERY close to Ky Dam state park, I've never spent any time there. They do have a nine hole golf course (one of two rounds of golf I've played my entire life:rolleyes:) I did some checking on Rough River and after I finish my PPL I'm going to fly a Citabria from KCEY up there for an overnight in a tent. But as far as I know, both places have lodges. I picked RR because KY dam is a *really* short flight from Murray. It'll be a good trip for you to either destination.

A lot of talk about nothing, sorry. :eek: Let us know what you do and how it turned out.

Josh

Check out Lake Barkley State Resort Park 4,800 ft. paved, lighted airstrip is located three miles from the lodge. They will pick you up at the airport. We fly down for breakfast good food and great view of the lake. They also have 18-hole golf course.
http://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/lb/

Jasper, IN
Squeak
RV7A

I'll probably be heading to Rough River (2I3) next week. Will give you a PIREP. One of my hangar neighbor has a family farm a stone's throw from there and he invited me up.

KY Dam is my vote

I've flown and drove to both, never stayed in the rooms though. Both lodges are a lot alike. There is a phone number outside the terminal bldg. that you can call at KY dam and they will pick you up. Rough River is just a short walk to the lodge. There is a restaurant near KY Dam that will pick you up called Patti's http://www.pattis-settlement.com/ That is a must do! There is a new place across the street from Patti's that has a show, kind of like the Branson, MO shows. I haven't been to the show yet but plan to check it out this summer.

Lexington area???

The wife is dragging me off to some goofy rolex horse show. Any builders down that way that wouldnt mind a visit. Any little airports full of rvs to drool on?
Horses, how silly.

If you go Ky Dam Village they have a nice facility. KY was going to stop suppling fuel. I was there for the T18 flyin in October. Patty's at Land Between the Lakes has the BEST Pork Chops ever. About two miles away. Worth the trip!

Rough River is rather isolated, but if you rent a boat, you have some of the best rock cliffs and scenery ever.

Both are worth the visit.

Bob

Lexington

The wife is dragging me off to some goofy rolex horse show. Any builders down that way that wouldnt mind a visit. Any little airports full of rvs to drool on?
Horses, how silly.
Rick,
When is the Rolex? I'm 30mi south of Louisville in Shepherdsville(Western Ky Parkway connects Bardstown to Lexington), 20 minutes from Bardstown. I assume that you're going to Georgetown Horse Park for the Rolex. Getting ready to hang the engine on my 9A Slider. More than welcome to come by if you have the chance. Don't know of any little airports full of RV's-sorry. PM me if you want to hook up. I'm retired so available any time.
Mike H 9A/8A

Rick, come one down to Richmond when not doing the Rolex Three Day Event. I have Black Magic housed at i39............I'm spending more than a little time at the airport flying her wings off...........

Cell 859 625-2844

Horses, how silly.

Scott, shoot me a PM and I'll buzz over by and meet up.

Rough River is much smaller than Kentucky Dam/Lake Barkley. If you are looking for mountain biking, hiking you will have more to choose from at Land Between the Lakes. With that said, Rough River is a nice place to fly to, rent some clubs and play a round at the golf course your flair over on landing or have a short walk up the drive to the lodge for lunch or dinner. They have rooms in the lodge or more private rooms off to one side that look out over the lake. Either stop is worth the visit.

I'll probably be heading to Rough River (2I3) next week. Will give you a PIREP. One of my hangar neighbor has a family farm a stone's throw from there and he invited me up.

Thanks i am in frankfort near CAPITAL CITY AIRPORT

Anyone near capital city airport in Frankfort. I will be here friday and sat PM and would love to buy someone a beer and look at plane parts. Beats horses anyday.
???????????

Email me from my profile or pm and i will get the pm in the evenings. Thanks

Back