What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Spinner Question

drmclaws

I am going from a wood prop to a Sensenich on my 6A. In going over the plans sent with the spinner kit they say to use a template to cut the holes needed for the spinner to fit over the prop. I don't see a template in the kit so I was wondering how you guys made the template and how you were able to correctly place the template before fearlessly cutting the spinner.

Any other comments on the spinner build process ie tips and advise regarding this for the FP Sensenich would be welcome.

drmclaws

Well, I don't know if we did it the right way or not but here goes: we cut a piece of cardboard to fit around the prop, taped extra pieces to close the gap where the first cut was too big and then ran a pen around the prop to give a mark on the cardboard no more than about a 1/4" too big. Then we slowly trimmed it to size, transferred the shape to a fresh bit of card and verified the shape of the cutout. Then we used a couple of bits of timber, suitably padded, twisted the blades from fully fine to fully coarse, and trimmed further to give the clearance necessary in the coarse position - if you have a fixed pitch prop obviously omit this bit. Rechecked the final shape several times, asked ourselves if it looked sensible, could we make the cutout any smaller, was everything lined up and marked, then we transferred the shape to the spinner.

We cut the spinner using a cutting disc in a Dremel, and then sanded to final shape, checking as we went. We experimented with snips and thought it was a useless way to cut glassfibre - and probably not good for the snips. Repeated the process for the other blade. It looks good. and this system seemed to work well. Main thing was to proceed slowly carefully and to keep asking "DOES THIS LOOK RIGHT??". Think thrice, measure twice, think again and then cut once, as my father used to say.

Less of a task than we anticipated.

Chris

Call Ed Zerker at Sensenich - 717 569 0435 and get their spinner spinner /bulkhead assembly. Not cheap, but well worth it.

Geoff Kimbrough
RV-8 Flying

I'll call him. I know he'll have the info but I was wondering if you knew this because you had gone that route and if you were happy with it? Is it a complete spinner assembly?

Thanks

Ivan McLaws

Ready to Go

I'll call him. I know he'll have the info but I was wondering if you knew this because you had gone that route and if you were happy with it? Is it a complete spinner assembly?

Thanks

Ivan McLaws

Ivan... I have the complete O-320 spinner assembly, and it is a nice piece of engineering.

All of the nutplates are installed, and the complete spinner assembly is simply ready to go.... no trimming or alignment needed.

gil A

PS Ed Z. said I can convert mine to a O-360 spinner assembly by drilling out the bolt holes and enlarging the prop cut out. I think I'll polish my spinner, a nice affect if the rest of your RV is painted... so it's not for sale...:)

Back