What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Builders Tool Requirements

jamescone

Well Known Member
This is the list of tools that Van's says are needed to build an RV-12 as taken from the plans introduction. The format is a bit messed up because I had to scan a table into a character recognition software program and convert it to a Word document and the formatting did not come out like I wanted, but it is at least readable. Now back to my wings.

RV-12 BUILDER'S TOOL REQUIREMENTS
QTY QTY

6" bench vice 1 1/4-28 tap 1
Small (2") "C" clamps 10 318-16 tap 1
Large (3" reach) spring or "pony" clamps 4 318-24 tap 1
6-32 tap 1
t#3O clecos 350 T-handle for taps 1
#4Oclecos 50
Battery powered drill motor 1
3/32 met dimple die set (should include a reduced dia Female die) 1
1/8 protruding head rivet die (tall, 1/2" thick) 1 C1eco pliers 1
1/8 rivet dimple die set (100 degree) 1
#18 screw dimple die set 1 Deburring countersink tool with flute cutter 1
1/8" flush rivet die set 2 Multi-burr deburring tool (Royal style) 1
112" flush rivet die set 1
Combination wrench set (1/4"-314") 1
#3 drill bit 1
#11 drill bit 1 Fish Scale (Q.50lbs) 1
#12 drill bits 2
#16 drill bit 1 Files - assorted
#19 drill bits 2
#30 drill bits 3 Ruling Pliers 1
12" extension drill #30 1
#40 drill bits 4 Hacksaw with fine tooth (32 teeth per inch) blade 1
#52 drill bit 1
1/4" drill bit 1 Hand blind rivet puller: "POP" Riveter PRP-26A, USM Corp. 1
5/16"' drill bit 1 Hand solid rivet squeezer with 3" yoke 1
Q or 11/3200 drill 1
Hand Seamer 1
#27 plexi drill 1
#40 plexi drill 1 Heavy soft faced hammer 1

1/4" to 314M X 1/16 step drill (Unibit) 1 Torque wrench (Inch pounds scale) 1

1/4 inch drive socket set 1 Aviation flaring tool (tube) 1

100 degree Machine countersink cutter with #30 pilot 1 Tubing cutter 1
120 degree Machine countersink cutter with #30 pilot 1
'100 degree #27 countersink cutter 1 Tubing bender 1
100 degree Machine countersink cutter with #40 pilot
Left hand offset metal cutting snips 1
Countersink cage 1 Right hand offset metal cutting snips 1

Wire crimper 1

I tried doing a little unscrambling of the list, that Jim posted.

Please note that a specific hand blind riveting tool is specified.
This particular tool has the ability to install rivets in tight areas that other tools can not.
I.E...the kit was designed with this tool in mind. Other tools likely will not work in some areas.

6" bench vice 1
1/4-28 tap 1
Small (2") "C" clamps 10
3/8-16 tap 1
Large (3" reach) spring or "pony" clamps 4
3/8-24 tap 1
6-32 tap 1
#3O clecos 350
T-handle for taps 1
#4O clecos 50
Battery powered drill motor 1
3/32 dimple die set (should include a reduced dia. Female die) 1
1/8 protruding head rivet die (tall, 1/2" thick) 1
Cleco pliers 1
1/8 rivet dimple die set (100 degree) 1
#8 screw dimple die set 1
Deburring countersink tool with flute cutter 1
1/8" tall flush rivet die set 2
Multi-burr deburring tool (Royal style) 1
1/2" tall flush rivet die set 1
Combination wrench set (1/4"-3/4") 1
#3 drill bit 1
#11 drill bit 1
Fish Scale (Q.50lbs) 1
#12 drill bits 2
#16 drill bit 1
Files - assorted
#19 drill bits 2
#30 drill bits 3 Ruling Pliers 1
12" extension drill #30 1
#40 drill bits 4
Hacksaw with fine tooth (32 teeth per inch) blade 1
#52 drill bit 1
1/4" drill bit 1
Hand blind rivet puller: "POP" Riveter PRP-26A, USM Corp. 1
5/16"' drill bit 1
Hand solid rivet squeezer with 3" yoke 1
Q or 11/32" drill 1
Hand Seamer 1
#27 plexi drill 1
#40 plexi drill 1
Heavy soft faced hammer 1

1/4" to 3/4" X 1/16 step drill (Unibit) 1
Torque wrench (Inch pounds scale) 1
1/4 inch drive socket set 1 Aviation flaring tool (tube) 1

100 degree Machine countersink cutter with #30 pilot 1
Tubing cutter 1
120 degree Machine countersink cutter with #30 pilot 1
'100 degree #27 countersink cutter 1 Tubing bender 1
100 degree Machine countersink cutter with #40 pilot
Left hand offset metal cutting snips 1
Right hand offset metal cutting snips 1
Countersink cage 1
Wire crimper 1

Where to buy these items

Scott,

Thanks for the re-do of the list. Where is the best source for the items you need ? I have all common tools, but not much for this type project.

John Bender

Thanks

Jim and Scott,

Thanks so much for the effort. It is going to be helpful and will keep us focused on something while we wait for the wing kits.

Richard

Tools

I spoke to someone from Avery Tools at Sun 'n Fun on Friday. I was told they are waiting for a "tools needed to build an RV-12 list" from Van's Aircraft. Since that list is available now, I'm guessing Avery Tools will have an RV-12 tool package very, very soon.

After I clean out my garage, I'll be building a work table and a wheel castered wing rack ... gonna build this wing rack ... looks pretty simple. :)

(Wing Stand)
http://www.ch601.org/tools/Wing%20Stand/wing_stand.htm

(maybe 2 of these work tables)
http://home.comcast.net/~rvnewsletter/articles/2008/workbenches.html

(or this work table)
http://www.ch601.org/tools/Visio-12 foot work table.pdf

[or any other simple work table someone recommends]

Last edited:
Tools for wing kit

Thanks for the list Jim. Will doing the wings take a large portion of the tools on the list, or not as many as it appears. Just trying to get an idea of how soon to round up all the items on the list.

Thanks,

John Bender

Thanks for the list Jim. Will doing the wings take a large portion of the tools on the list, or not as many as it appears. Just trying to get an idea of how soon to round up all the items on the list.

Thanks,

John Bender

You need the drills, the countersink, the deburring tools, the rivet pullers and the rivet squeezer and dies. The Scotchbrite wheel makes short work of deburring and polishing of the edges of parts, and the ones that mount in a die grinder are very usefull. I assembled the main wing ribs to the spar on the left wing today. It is going very fast.

Tool list from Van's

I had the same question that many others have had about getting a list of necessary tools. When I spoke with Ken at Sun N Fun, he indicated he would post the .pdf page from the construction manual that has the tool list on their website.

While Avery doesn't have an RV-12 tool-kit posted yet, I did look at their Zenith kit for comparison. It is listed at just over $700. That is less than half the cost of a "bare-bones" kit for a standard RV... and from what I have seen, many folks spend between $2,000 and $3,000. So... another way the RV-12 is an economical choice to build. :) DJ

You need the drills, the countersink, the deburring tools, the rivet pullers and the rivet squeezer and dies. The Scotchbrite wheel makes short work of deburring and polishing of the edges of parts, and the ones that mount in a die grinder are very usefull. I assembled the main wing ribs to the spar on the left wing today. It is going very fast.

I think we need to convince Jim Cone to install a webcam in his garage, since he seems to be the only builder with a RV-12 wing kit so far. :D

Another tool you need

There is another tool that you need. It is a magnetic pickup that will extend to the floor without you having to bend over. Sears had a nice extentable one. You need it to pick up the dozens of pop rivet stems that you will drop on the floor.

I finished my left wing structure and it is ready for the skins. I am working on the right wing structure and am about half done. This wing will take less than half of the time it took to build the left one because of the learning curve. Total time to date: 40.5 hours. Some of that time was removing the main ribs because I mis-read the plans. This kit is so cool!

Pictures Please

There is another tool that you need. It is a magnetic pickup that will extend to the floor without you having to bend over. Sears had a nice extentable one. You need it to pick up the dozens of pop rivet stems that you will drop on the floor.

I finished my left wing structure and it is ready for the skins. I am working on the right wing structure and am about half done. This wing will take less than half of the time it took to build the left one because of the learning curve. Total time to date: 40.5 hours. Some of that time was removing the main ribs because I mis-read the plans. This kit is so cool!

Careful you are about to run out of plane to build until Vans' gets the other kits built.:D

Back