What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mystery antenna

cjensen

Well Known Member
I had an antenna given to me yesterday. It appears to be (or similar to) the Rami 534 antenna, but I have no idea.

Antenna%20002.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this antenna is even worth trying for my comm antenna?

Or is the best advise to go with the Comant bent whip?

:confused:

It's similar to a lot of basic comm antennas being used. I have a similar one but it has a black insulator. Works fine! I'd say use it. Check Wagaero's website. They sell similar antennas.

This comm antenna works fine. I use one just like it on top of my hangar for unicom. You get a little loss because of the way it is hooked up, but not much. Also be careful not to over tighten as you can break the insulators.

what?

I had an antenna given to me yesterday. It appears to be (or similar to) the Rami 534 antenna, but I have no idea.

What's that long bent wire thing laying on top of the antenna? Do those colors and that pattern help with the reception?

:D

How long?

Chad... the key is the total length.

Can you measure it just to be sure it is an aircraft band VHF antenna?

Tip to start of insulator...

gil A

Hey Gil,

The total length when measured with a tape ribbon is 22.25"

Do I have an aircraft band VHF antenna?

I don't think you should use that one Chad. Why don't you just package it up and send it me, I'll dispose of it properly for you.

It's an aircraft VHF one

Hey Gil,

The total length when measured with a tape ribbon is 22.25"

Do I have an aircraft band VHF antenna?

Chad... good to go....:)

Measures the same as my RA Miller AV-534 bent whip antenna.

Should work fine, just keep the ground pigtail short when you mount it and wire it up....

UPDATE.... found a set of instructions detailing the order of all of the nuts/washers/spacers etc.
Sent a copy to you via regular e-mail.

gil A

Last edited:
Back