What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Colorado Hangar space

wirejock

Well Known Member
I may be going about this totally backwards, but it occurs to me I need a hangar to store my plane. The backwards part is, I have not started it yet. I plan to start in the next year or two and build in Estes Park, CO. Out of curiosity, I called Loveland/Ft. Collins to check on hangar prices and availability. Prices good. 85 person waiting list bad :eek:!

I've already added my name to the list thinking I would get to the top about the time my plane is finished and even if it's not, I can always use the hangar till it's finished.

My question to the RV community is which airport near Estes has a good source of RV enthusiasts and are there any recommendations/preferences?

I'm based at Fort Collins-Loveland (FNL) and also Spicewood TX (88R), near Austin. I have a 60x60x20 hangar at Spicewood but have to rent a back corner at Fort Collins-Loveland. The problem at Fort Collins-Loveland is the management by two cities who cannot agree on anything. I have been on the list to build a hangar at FNL for 4 years now with absolutely no new private hangars being allowed. One condo T hangar group did get permission to build but they had to sign a lease with reversion at ZERO market value. It is a real mess which we have been working to hopefully make better.

That is what is causing the LONG LONG waiting lists. There is plenty of land, just no reasonable attitudes. I even went to the airport manager and showed him 3 lots that could be built on immediately without impacting anything. That was two years ago & nothing happened!

For Estes Park, you have two good choices and then a couple more not so good. The two good ones are FNL with access through Big Thompson Canyon and then Longmont LMO with access via the Lyons road. Both have good EAA chapters and RV contingents. Then the two farther away are Greeley (GXY) and Erie.

PS: This situation has been further complicated by the recent closing of Downtown Fort Collins Airport. There has been a group working to create a new GA airport north of Fort Collins at Wellington but it's hard to say how soon that will show up.

Last edited:
Longmont

Thanks. I'll stay on the waiting list. Maybe something will happen or maybe, I'll get to the top about the time I finish. :)
I called the Airport Manager listed in the directory for LMO, Tim Barth. He has not return the call yet. I suspect a waiting list there as well.
My preference is FNL, because of it's proximity to Hwy 34. It's a straight shot to our house and much shorter than the ride to Longmont.
Thanks again. Maybe we'll meet sometime in Spicewood.

This was a timely posting. I'm a Fort Collins RV-7 builder and also recently looked around at the hanger issues. It's a bit discouraging to think that there may be no hanger availability at FNL in a few years when I need it!

By the way, if any of the FNL RV crowd are reading this, I'd love to get plugged in to the local community (and maybe even a ride!). I'm currently sealing my first fuel tank in my garage and really want to get acquainted with some more experienced builders as I get further along.

Hangar available this summer

I am one of the people in the group building some hangars at FNL. They should be complete this June. I will be looking to sell one of these new hangars shortly after completion. I won't have an asking price until I know my final cost to build.... but feel free to make an offer.

Back