What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan EXP Fuel Injection

Sparky

Well Known Member
Is anyone out there using the ECI Titan EXP (Airmotive Engineering Corp) fuel injection system? I am planning on going with the ECI IO360 kit engine and am wondering how this fuel injection system is working in the field.

Also, another question for those in the know:

The Airmotive Engineering fuel injection system operating guide mentions that it is preferable to have both high and low boost pumps --

"4.2 Boost Pump(s)
The AE fuel injection system requires the use of
at least one boost pump. AE strongly
recommends using a boost pump that produces
both a high and low pressure setting, or two
boost pumps arranged so that one can produce at
least 18 psi fuel pressure for emergencies, and
another to produce 3-5 psi for take-off. The
system tested by AE uses the Facet low pressure
pump and a high pressure pump developed by CJ
Aviation in Miami, Fla. (305) 378-1969. CJ
Aviation is also developing an electronic
controller for their fuel pump to provide both
pressures from the same pump. Fuel lines
should be at least 3/8-inch (no. 6) tubing size.
Properly sized gascolators having 70-micron
filters are highly recommended. At the very
least, an inspectable and cleanable fuel screen
should be installed in the fuel supply system.
WARNING
A free flowing path (pump bypass) for the fuel
to flow to the engine driven fuel pump is
absolutely essential so that fuel will flow
unimpeded to the engine driven pump when
the boost pump(s) are turned off."

But the schematic provided on the ECI website http://www.eci.aero/exp/FIS11x17.pdf only shows a high pressure fuel pump.

Are the both needed? preferred? or is just a high fuel boost pump OK per the ECI schematic?

If both are needed or preferred, is there any problem having the high boost pump (Airflow performance) upstream of the low boost pump (Facet), as this is the easiest way to fit them in an RV-7? (Each would have a bypass valve installed per the instructions, of course.)

I've already plumbed my RV-7 with the necessary vapor return lines, duplex fuel valve, high pressure fuel pump, etc, for this injection system, and I am planning on installing the low boost pump (in approximately its normal position on the firewall for carburated engines). Before doing so, I would like to get additional opinions.

hi paul,

we're going for the same setup.

for now, it's just the van's / airflow performance high pressure fuel pump and filter assembly, andair dual valve for the supply and return lines, plus a check valve in the return line.
i'm also interested in your findings regarding the low pressure pump. although i think the high pressure pump can safely be used during takeoff, as there is a pressure relief valve keeping the pump from overheating / cavitating.

also on a lighter note, just received our tmx-io360 with one mag, one pmag and the eci fuel injection / cold air induction. it's a 180hp parallel valve engine that produced 192hp!!! in the test cell *smile* :)

regards, bernie

Back