What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 light system

tstates

I was wondering if anyone has used the Creativair HID system and the LED kit. I understand that you still have to purchase the Vans 500 tail light strobe kit with this system. The question is, do you have to use a seperate power pack for the strobe, or do you use one for the whole system. I am currently ready to start the wing kit that arrives next week. My tail kit is complete, except for the tail light assembly in the rudder. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Thane,

One strobe powerpack for the whole thing (drives all three bulbs).

Lemme know if you need help unloading the kit.

RV-10 lights configuration

I'll be closing up the SB wings soon and was beginning to think about lighting but wanted to do so as economically as possible, yet have strobe(s). My interpretation of the lighting FAR guidance seems to claim the following will make me visible for night flight:

In each wingtip cut-out:
- 75W Vans landing light
- 50 lumen LED position lights http://www.theledlight.com/dcbulbs.html
- Whelen strobes (and wires and one 40W pwr supply from strobesnmore.com)

In the fairing on the tail:
- Vans white tail light (non-strobe)

Does this provide the visibility I need?

Doug.

Your strobes must be visible from the back. If your wingtip strobes show only from the front, then you must also have a tail strobe. Landing lights are not required for experimental amateur-built aircraft.

I am using the HID's from Creative, they fit in the wing tip and there is a ballast for each light, only one power pack needed for the strobes. The HID's turn night into day :cool: ...very powerful for such a small unit. I WAS going to use the LED's then the CFO said they looked to cheesy and I went with a Whelen position lights, still kept the strobes. The led's worked just fine and put out lots of light....just failed to meet the "design criteria" of the other half.

For some really nice LED position lights check these out:

http://jeffsrv-7a.com/LEDPROJECT.htm

Last edited:
Mel said:
Your strobes must be visible from the back. If your wingtip strobes show only from the front, then you must also have a tail strobe. Landing lights are not required for experimental amateur-built aircraft.
So a solid white position light is not sufficient to fulfill the rear visibility requirement? I thought that strobes are optional and thus could have just red/green and tail light if I wanted to for 360-degree visibility.

strobe or anti-collision?

Mel,

Is a rotating (or flashing) beacon considered a strobe? Or is it an anti-collision light?

I'd guess that most of us think of 'strobes' as those intense white flashing bulbs, but the FAR's require 'an approved aviation red or aviation white anti-collision light system' and 'approved position lights'.

I think that's the word game ... strobes are anti-collision lights, but only count as an anti-collision light system when viewable from 360 degrees. A single rotating beacon is also an anti-collision light system.

I guess in the end, for night flight we need at a minimum (a) position lights (red/green/white) and (b) something that flashes red/white viewable from 360 degrees around, right?

-Jim

The "old" rotating/flashing beacon anticollision lights are not acceptable on aircraft built after August 1971. The intensity requirements are greater after that date. You can find the intensity requirements in 23.1401(f).

Remedy

OK, so I have confirmation about the requirement for newer aircraft of all categories (incl experimental) that one needs 360-degree strobe (or strobed nav beacon) visibility. I can achieve this by mounting the strobe lights on the very tips of the wings (not in the recessed, outermost leading-edge cut-out) that will allow them to be seen forward and aft. AND I will have green and red LEDs and a solid white tail light.

Changed configuration

After examining the wingtip edge I reconsidered and purchased two simple position lights at a small vendor at SNF ($50ea for sockets, gaskets, and colored glass lens), have the whelen strobes from strobesnmore, and the tail strobe/pos light on order from Vans.

Back