What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell prop. design (for O-320)

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi. I'm ready for ordering a propeller for a Lycoming O-320. Just wondering if it is predictable in a near future a new design for PROP C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 (I)O-320 diameter: 72" - which is now "paddle blade", in favour of a "blended airfoil". Does any of you have some news?

Thank-you.
Camillo

Good Question

Hi. I'm ready for ordering a propeller for a Lycoming O-320. Just wondering if it is predictable in a near future a new design for PROP C2YL-1BF/F7663-4 (I)O-320 diameter: 72" - which is now "paddle blade", in favour of a "blended airfoil". Does any of you have some news?

Thank-you. Camillo
Good question. Look, call Hartzell. They are super good about answering the phone and having people in who know. Burn some of those "any time" minutes. (I remember as a kid, yes pre cell phones, calling "long distance" was a big deal and expensive.) May be email might be better?

I'm going to guess that Hartzell does not have plans right now, simply because the 180/200 hp and the Hartzell prop is more common, ie market it bigger. You MIGHT ask Hatzell if the "BA" blade (7497) would work on a 320?

Part of the reason Hartzell spent the time and money to develop the "BA" prop for the 180HP RV's was the F7666 blade was not happy on the 180HP, especially with electronic ignition, a pretty popular on RV's. The O-320 is a different engine and NOT as hard on the blades as a 180HP Lyc. The 360 Lyc apparently really pounds the blades, especially with electronic ignition. The motivation to make a new blade for the 320 Lyc is probably not there, because the F7666 is pretty good, especially for the Lyc 320. You might another mph or two in cruise, but it's moot to worry about it if they don't make it. Still the F7666 kicked the tail of other props; its the best c/s prop for the 320, in my opinion.

I can tell you my beloved (sadly sold) RV-4 had a O-320 and Hartzell c/s prop. That combo rocked. It was fast and efficient. You will like it a lot.

There is nothing wrong with the F7666 blade, nothing at all. It's a very nice hub and a very nice blade. It has the benefit of 4 decades of constant product improvement, since the 60's. The F7666 blade has been constantly improved for decades. Blades made 10 years ago are not the same as ones made recently. Keep in mind the F7666 blade was made for the 180HP Mooney. I think that is a good match for a 160 hp RV, a 180 hp retract!

My point (total conjecture which Hartzell might confirm) is that a new "BA" blade for a 160HP RV might be great, but not as much of a gain as it was for the 180HP. I am sure they could "tune" or optimize a prop for the RV's using a 160HP Lyc. It would be a little better but they probably don't sell enough C2YL-1BF/F7663A4's as it is now to justify a new design change for the experimental market. I could be wrong. It might be just a matter of asking. I am sure if the demand is high they would do it.

If you call or write hartzell, ask them about other blades for Lancair and so on. Check out the Lancair 320 (LINK - click - Check out the list of Hartzell props for kitplanes"). The hub would be wrong, it's a very extended hub. The dia is 70", which may or may not be ideal for the RV. In general the smaller diameters are better fo high speed efficiency, with in limits. It also gives more ground clearance. May be Hartzell can put Lancair blades on the C2YL-1BF/ hub? Can't hurt to ask. My guess is the recommended F7666, 72" blade is best for RV's with 320 Lyc's.

Last edited:
Thank-you very much.
Actually, I wrote to Hartzell but received no answer, yet. Now that I understand why the BA was born, I think I will go with the paddle design woth no regret.
Thank-you again.
Camillo

Back