What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak=Class Act

Rick6a

Well Known Member
I sent the ADI II head back to TruTrak for evaluation when I experienced technical problems with its installation. TruTrak's point guy Marcus Bowling not only gave me a heads up when it arrived at their shop but reported back promptly with their observations. The ADI was returned to me, totaling less than 2 weeks from the time I sent it out to the time it was reinstalled in the airplane. It seems to check out just fine. Quite unexpectedly, they also changed out the stock plastic with more scratch resistant glass lens. TruTrak's fee for their time and trouble? No Charge. Like I said, TruTrak=Class Act.

Yes They Are

Yes Rick and it is not a short term thing to line up prospects. I live just down the road a few miles. The whole operation is deeply dedicated to their products and their customers as only a company that is run by a very "hands on" tough old bird owner with decades of genius level development and deep commitment to excellence can be. "Good stuff" also rolls down hill. I had a similar experience to yours.

Bob Axsom

Not to blame any of these companies, but we frequently get reports here that here and there is a company which has done something for "free".

Who do you think will pay it eventually -- the company or their customers?
There ain't no free lunch. So ever wondered why the initial cost of these gadgets is so much? So people having no trouble will end up pay more because some people get 'free lunch' and will even advertise that... :eek:

My experience with Andrew and Jim at TruTrak is also very positive. After sitting in my aircraft for a year while I was building, the Alt Hold did not work when checked in flight. They helped me trouble shoot it to the "program box" and replaced the failed unit in a timely fashion. I was pleased.

Quite frankly, no product produced by man is going to be 100% trouble free all the time. To deal with this a savy business owner builds into his price points some factor for situations like this so he can quickly and efficiently handle customer service issues. In this day of immediate info access on the net (like this site) those businesses who do not follow this practice usually do not last long.

I don't mind paying a "smidgeon more" (S. Texas term) for a product that has a proven customer servce track record.

A satisfied TruTrak customer.

Cheers,

db

Not to blame any of these companies, but we frequently get reports here that here and there is a company which has done something for "free".

Who do you think will pay it eventually -- the company or their customers?
There ain't no free lunch. So ever wondered why the initial cost of these gadgets is so much? So people having no trouble will end up pay more because some people get 'free lunch' and will even advertise that... :eek:
Well this sure sounds like a very sour attitude!:(

I do not wish to argue your point of whether there is a free lunch or not. I do not feel that belongs in a conversation about quality service.

I really fail to see the argument that quality service will have to be reflected in the initial cost of a product. On the contrary, quality service should be PRICELESS!!!! Therefore, it should just be a part of doing business no matter what you charge for a product. Whether someone provides first rate quality service with their product is going to be a philosophy they live by whether they charge a penny for a product or all the money in the world for it. The expectation that quality service can only be had for a price is the absolute wrong way to look at business in my opinion.

Well this sure sounds like a very sour attitude!:(

I do not wish to argue your point of whether there is a free lunch or not. I do not feel that belongs in a conversation about quality service.

I really fail to see the argument that quality service will have to be reflected in the initial cost of a product. On the contrary, quality service should be PRICELESS!!!! Therefore, it should just be a part of doing business no matter what you charge for a product. Whether someone provides first rate quality service with their product is going to be a philosophy they live by whether they charge a penny for a product or all the money in the world for it. The expectation that quality service can only be had for a price is the absolute wrong way to look at business in my opinion.

Gotta go with Steve on this one.

Let's put it otherways:
  • Autopilot for $3000, "no support" or
  • Autopilot for $4000 with that priceless support
Which one would you really go for? I would say that depending of the situation -- if the brand is well-known and works I might just go ahead with cheaper way. If I would have doubts, the costly way might be the choice. And I've no doubts that many of you would choose cheaper route.

However now the situation is that we don't have freedom to choose for. Or how about comparing these prices with other autopilot brands -- pricing this support is difficult and depending of the situation some might (at least if they wish) get advantage on this...

I've no doubts what so ever against TruTrak autopilots, I'm trying to discuss generally about this free support companies give for their products.

Let's put it otherways:
  • Autopilot for $3000, "no support" or
  • Autopilot for $4000 with that priceless support
Which one would you really go for? I would say that depending of the situation -- if the brand is well-known and works I might just go ahead with cheaper way. If I would have doubts, the costly way might be the choice. And I've no doubts that many of you would choose cheaper route.

However now the situation is that we don't have freedom to choose for. Or how about comparing these prices with other autopilot brands -- pricing this support is difficult and depending of the situation some might (at least if they wish) get advantage on this...

I see that you're trying to make your point; however, the autopilots are just NOT high volume products, where hundreds or thousands are produced and sold weekly.

As a product producer/vendor of these type of products; you have to set a price, at which you can hopefully make a living, considering a realistic expectation of sales. You will also assume that there will be some product support/warrenty; but NOT on every piece of equipment sold. Therefor, you don't just tack on an extra thousand bucks (your example), for each box you ship out. So in reality, this extra thousand, just ISN'T there to start with!

I don't sell auto-pilots, but I have been in business for just about a quarter of a century. I face the same problems, and sometimes give "freely", or charge variable rates, depending on the situation. But I don't markup a product assuming that every piece will require warranty work. And I sell the particular equipment that I do, because I know that the products do have a LOW failure rate.

L.Adamson

Back