What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Closing off the end of a fairing

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I tried Van's method of using a temporary foam to close off the fairing ends as found on the horizontal stabilizers. Didn't have much luck, so I tried something else.
I used a piece of wax paper and wet layed up a single piece of glass large enough to do the jub. Do not trim at this point. Because of the arc the elevator counterbalance travel thru, I found that the end caps need to be concaved a little, for the 1/8" clearance . I let the layup cure a little, but still green, then removed it from the flat surface and wax paper. Then find something with the right curvature and set the single laminateover it. Then place the fairing on top. The fairing edge that makes contact with the new laminate, has to be wetted with resin so it will bond. I taped a little weight to the fairing to hold things in place. Once cured add the internal layers as per the instructions, and trim the out side access. The reason not to trim at first is that more material is needed in order to concave the first layup.
Hope someone can find this useful. Remember I'm still a newbie, so look this over carefully before you use this tip.
Ron

Back