What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Precision Airmotive has issued a safety alert ...

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
If any of you fly this with this system. From AOPA's web site:

... for its fuel-injection systems on many light aircraft?including all newer model piston-single Cessnas and some Pipers?because of a
possible loose brass regulator plug that could cause significant or complete engine power loss. Read more on AOPA Online [www.aopa.org].

/\/elson

Precision Airmotive Safety Alert

A quick call to Precision Airmotive revealed that this issue also affects a number of Precision Silverhawk systems, which is more likely to affect members of this forum that have new experimental engines, either Superior or Lycoming.

Here is a link to Precision's website with the SB and serial numbers on affected units. www.precisionairmotive.com

Last edited:
now an emergency AD

Oh dear - this safety alert has now turned into an emergency AD in the US and Australia. CASA has even barred all positioning flights for inspection which could cause some headaches!

from the FAA

and from CASA

Loose Plug!!

I checked my Superior XP IO360 today and after only 20 hours the plug was indeed loose!!!!
Threads I think are ok however I think I'll send the unit back to the dealer to be sure

Peter

I'll be watching to see how this turns out. I have a servo built during the period in question (not flying yet). My brass hex plug is tight, but it sounds like the real problem is that the gasket shrinks after a certain number of flight hours and lets it loosen up. Hopefully the permanent fix will be as simple as a replacement gasket and a retorquing!

mcb

Supior Engine

Called Eagle Engines.
My new XP360 is in the AD.
They are going to help me with the solution.

Check those servos!

I was just about to install my injection servo (new exp IO540 from Vans).

The plug on the servo (subject to this bulletin) was indeed loose and although lockwired could easily be jiggled with finger pressure. It certainly was not torqued to 90-100 in lbs per the SB. Apart from the test runs performed by Lycoming prior to delivery, my engine has not been run so the suggestion that the seal shrinks with heat is bull dust. It looks to me like the plug has not been torqued at the factory (at all!).

Ron
RV-10
FW fwd and finishing

Check that torque

I think after seeing mine loose after 20 hours and reading here that someone found it loose after just test runs. Even if you check and find it tight, I'd be inclined to re-torque the nut to 90-100 in lbs anyway. As it's a higher setting than set at the factory, just to be sure.

Peter

Precision SB/AD - New and Overhauled

Everyone needs to be aware that this SB/AD affects not only new systems, either certified or experimental, but also affects any systems overhauled or repaired in the field.

This may affect you if you purchased an overhauled engine with an overhauled fuel system for your RV or if you had a problem during this time and had to have the throttle body worked on. Gaskets are mandatory replacement at access on any part of this type, so if you've had your your fuel system worked on on any Lycoming type powered aircraft, you should check this carefully!!!!

At this point, Precision doesn't appear to have a solution to the problem other than check prior to flight.

I checked my engine today (RV-10 with Mattituck IO-540)

and it definitely has the issue. The hex cover was easily moveable with just my fingertips. Only the .25 safety wire was holding it in place. 55 hours on the engine.

I spoke to a friend who has a brand new engine (never even been flown) and he found the same thing.

I suspect this issue is going to end up being very wide spread. Let's hope that Precision will have a good long term solution soon.

Interesting some find it loose with no running? Makes one wonder if the issue is some just not torqued correctly to start with rather than a "heat issue" and the "gasket"?

We have an affected Serial # unit, and after ~40 hours flying, nut was more than finger tight. Added some pen "creep marks" we can check before every flight, and will obviously check the nut every time the cowling is off...

I talked to precision yesterday and Yes, mine is on the list, it is not on the engine yet and they told me that they were put together with 40inch pounds of torque on the big nut, and to just put mine on and watch it, if it loosens than retorque to 90 to 100 inch pounds. I was also told that the bolt will not strip out, that they had their biggest guy try to over tighten the bolt and he couldn't strip it out. My plan, I'm not going to wait for the nut to loosen, I'm going to retorque it now and resafety wire it.

Are we supposed to replace the defective gasket under the hex nut 1st? Maybe they don't have a replacement yet.

I have taken a look at mine. Brand new, delivered with the engine about a month ago direct from Lycoming and just bolted on the engine. Assume it was on for the test run and then removed for shipping. The plug can not be moved by hand. Tempting to just torque it up to the new spec but Precision is not suggesting it be done until it is found loose and I'm hesitant to remove the seal on the safetywire in case some other warranty issue should arise. Anyone else finding problems?

IO 540 and it definitely has the issue. The hex cover was easily moveable with just my fingertips. Only the .25 safety wire was holding it in place. 55 hours on the engine.

I'm confused (not hard to do), my IO-540 has an Air Performance injection system, but it looks nothing like the pictures I have seen. Can you post a picture of your system showing the hex nut?

This AD is really turning into a mess (at least in my mind). If you have fuel injection, experimental OR certified, you need to pull the coweling and look for the loose hex nut reguardless of who made your FI system.

Last edited:
I have 50 hours total time on my engine, and the plug was loose. Probably a good idea to torque to the higher value whether yours is loose now or not, because it likely WILL get loose as soon as the gasket shrinks, and it apparantly doesn't take long for that to happen.

I have a little over 60 hrs on mine and since it was serviced in Dec and they used the new gasket part # in the servicing.. I checked today and everything is finger tight. The emergency AD said this must be checked and done by A&P.Since it is experimental can we just check it and enter it in the logbook to comply or must it be done by an A&P.

Maintenance on an experimental amateur-built may be done by anyone.
Any sign off in the logbooks should include the person's name performing the work, their certificate number, and type of certificate held. If you don't hold a repairman certificate use your pilot certificate number.

Last edited:
New gaskets coming

I spoke with Precision Airmotive today and was informed that they will be distributing new gaskets at Sun-N-Fun. They'll be mailing me one when available. I suggest everyone contact them if you have not done so already.

-rob
RV-9A Firewall Fwd in progress

Have they started using the new gaskets? If so, when? My engine arrived a month ago and I installed 2 weekends ago. Checked the hex bolt and it was tight. Will say the the safety wire setup was pretty lame compared to the urgent bulletin pictures on how to replace safety wire.

If anyone wants to see the bulletin, it was emailed to me by Eagle Engines (great people to do business with). It's an Adobe file and shows how to properly safety wire. I'm sure you can go on line and find it. If you can't I can post it if someone tells me how to make it available for everyone. Either that or I can email to one of you posting guru's and you can get it up there for everyone.

If I remember correctly, you have to check the plug and every 50 hours (can you say another thing to do when changing oil). You have to sign off in the log book too it was done. If found loose, tighten and safety wire according to the picture that they show which has the safety wire attaching 180 degrees but not touching the hex bolt corners so the bolt can't back out. Don't rely on this old dogs memory - read the bulletin.

FAA AD

This has now taken the form of an FAA Emergency AD. I received one today, but it does not pertain to my former airplane as it did not have FI.

Roberta

Have they started using the new gaskets? If so, when? My engine arrived a month ago and I installed 2 weekends ago.....
Due to a Lycoming installation error, a reverse throw condition on the new Silverhawk injector existed on my new OEM engine. I was directed to send the servo to Precision for rework and the unit was returned to me very recently.....October 12, 2007. It was quite natural for me to experience some minor irritation as I received and read the recent AD. A series of communications with Precision confirmed that I should return the injector for warranty work. The Silverhawk is once again off the airplane and en route to Precision as we speak to evaluate, document and assure compliance with the AD. Better safe than sorry.

I received my engine June 6th, 2006. The recall is supposed to be for engines built as of August 2006. PA admittedly is not sure about the cause of the problem (although they suspect the gasket), so I made sure to check mine anyway. My plug is definately tight and I can't move it. Needless to say, I'll be keeping an eye on it each time I have the lower cowl off.

Precison SB/AD

Hi RVers, my name is Peter Nielson and I am the Product Support Mgr. at Precision Airmotive. I would be happy to answer any questions, but first I would like to clear up a few things about the AD.

1. The SB and AD only affects servos built, overhauled, or repaired since 8/22/06. If you have a new or rebuilt Precision factory servo, you can check our website for a list of S/Ns to see if your unit is affected. Some engines delivered after 8/08 may have servos that were built before the effective date and do not have the problem. There is a list for certified servos, RSA-5 or 10, which are covered by bulletin PRS-107 and one for Silver Hawk servos, the EX-5 and 10, covered by bulletin PEX-1. If you have a factory servo and it hasn't been repaired during that time and it's not on the lists, then you are not affected.

2. During 2006 our vendor that makes these gaskets informed us they were not going to make this material anymore, so we would have choose a new material. Our choice wasn't so good, obviously. The original installation prior to this AD used 40-50 lb/inches of torque on the plug and a single strand of .015" safety wire. This is the way it had always been done since Bendix designed these servos. After investigating the situation, we decided to increase the torque, as well as find a better gasket material. We also tried a different safety wire configuration to better hold the plug tight until a replacement gasket is found.

3. There are revised versions of both bulletins now on our website, which contain the new gasket P/N and instructions for a final terminating action. For the certified servos, which our the only ones actually affected by the AD, the terminating action will not be complete until a revised AD is released, but that will be soon. The gaskets are available through our distributors for 70 cents. You can also get them directly from us if you have the serial number of your servo. We will ship them for free, but only by ground.

4. These bulletins only affect Precision or Bendix servos, not Airflow Performance or Continental fuel systems. If your servo was overhauled by someone using parts from another supplier, such as Kelly Aerospace, you may not be affected, but I would check with your overhauler to be sure.

Back