What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Quick Fiberglass Release Agent

Gsuit

Well Known Member
While working on my Sam James cowl I needed a way to keep the flox off of the rings. Sam says wax them - and that's probably the best way. But, like so many other things on this plane, I didn't want to wait for an order to arrive 7 days later (weekend) before I completed this task. So, I went hunting at my local auto parts store (O'Reilly's, in my case) for some carnuba wax... which Sam says is the "next best thing."

What I found was a carnuba / teflon spray. And it works great! I just sprayed this stuff on and blew it with a heat gun to speed up the drying process. I did 5 coats this way, then cooled it down (the rings got pretty hot) by blowing it with the air compressor nozzle.

After coating lots of epoxy and flox all around the rings with this stuff on them, the cowl was perfectly formed and just popped right off of the rings! Total time from beginning to 'waxed' took about 15 mins.

I also did this on some fiberglass to fiberglass parts where I wanted them to form to each other, but not stick. Worked great!

IMG_2380.jpg

Back