What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Innodyn

FlyQXCRJ

Maybe this is a better question for the Alt. Engine forum, but here goes.

Has anyone spoken with Innodyn about their engine being installed on a RV-10? Their website says a firewall forward kit is available.

I'm ways off from deciding on a powerplant, but this sounds like a viable option.

Last edited:
A little faith

I have watched the Innodyn thread with a lot of interest and I have read a lot of negativity. I hope that this soon changes. The engine is new and they will go through a learning curve. I don't think that Lycoming just came out of the box without some setbacks.

I have found that the people that typically build and fly RV's are good positive people that like to help others. This thread needs to change so that the people of Innodyn can use it to better their product and get support, only if it is moral support.

In my opinion it has the potential to be a wonderful engine and so far, it is the best product for our market that I have seen. At least they are giving an effort in order to provide our category of expirimental aircraft a turbine solution.

Please remember that they are not Lycoming and they never will be. They do have an interesting product that is unlike any other out there. If you are not interested in burning more fuel or using a turbine then just get off of ther backs or show us a better solution.

Lets get off of their case and give them some support. I know that some have had negative experiences with Innodyn but what is not mentioned in the forum is what steps have been taken to help the company improve.

I talked with them and they were very pleasant. If given the chance I would install one of their units in a heartbeat. they are familiar with this forum and they are trying to be a company that will have you knocking down the doors.

I see that this has been a hot topic in other forums - does anyone have any experience with the RV-10 and Innodyn specifically?

Thanks

No engines - No experience

No one has experience with Innodyn and Rv-10s because there are only 2 aircraft flying with Innodyn, and they both belong to the company! Still waiting to see some real test data on fuel flow versus power, etc. . .

Last I checked, they have yet to ship an engine (production or otherwise). Given that, I doubt you're going to find anyone with any experience besides the factory.

If you do find someone I'd be interested to hear about their experience.

PJ

Don't worry be happy

I don?t have a problem with different opinions. I don?t mind being told I am wrong, but being told not be negative for the sake of being positive, with out any facts to support that request, is nonsensical. Many of those negative comments are VERY insightful from folks who really know and understand the design challenges of making a small, low HP, man rated turbine. They make excellent points. I have the background to understand and appreciate the effort Innodyn is making. I also understand and agree with the negative comments, because they are very valid.

ww2planes: I have read a lot of negativity. I hope that this soon changes. The engine is new and they will go through a learning curve. I don't think that Lycoming just came out of the box without some setbacks. There are good reasons for the negative comments. Lycoming was certified out of the box with a long history of building engines aircraft engines since 1929 and the R-680 behind it.

ww2planes: I have found that the people that typically build and fly RV's are good positive people that like to help others. This thread needs to change so that the people of Innodyn can use it to better their product and get support, only if it is moral support.What does that mean "it needs to change". I appreciate your sunny positive happiness, but not all of us share this view. Why do we need to change, so people at Innodyn people will not be depressed? Look this list and any post will not put it out of business, nor will it help it. There is only the RV-4 and PA-18 flying with pretty pictures and a video. There are no engines in the field and in the hands of pilots. What will making positive statements like "It's neat-O" do, if not backed up by facts. We are all waiting for some solid numbers. This is not a vacuum cleaner. This is an engine in a plane and can kill you if it fails. I think caution is wise.

ww2planes: In my opinion it has the potential to be a wonderful engine and so far, it is the best product for our market that I have seen. At least they are giving an effort in order to provide our category of experimental aircraft a turbine solution. Why is it a wonderful engine? What basis do you make your claims? It is great to be positive but what good does that do. Do you have turbine experience, either flying or technical background? Tell us why we should be positive. It is great they are trying , but what difference does it make.

ww2planes: Please remember that they are not Lycoming and they never will be. They do have an interesting product that is unlike any other out there. If you are not interested in burning more fuel or using a turbine then just get off of their backs or show us a better solution.I don't know why you are hostile to the non-plus comments, which all are reasoned and well supported opinions. I can tell you for the size and type of aircraft the RV is and the missions we fly with it, a turbine, even if idealized would not be a great match. The ideal engine I am thinking of is not what Innodyn has on the table. A true turbo prop is a complex thing, and some of the short cuts they have in the basic design concerns me. I have real concern that folks may hurt them selves with this engine. I have flown turboprops (MetroIII) and now fly large Jets. The Innodyn will be demanding to fly from what I have read.

ww2planes: Lets get off of their case and give them some support. I know that some have had negative experiences with Innodyn but what is not mentioned in the forum is what steps have been taken to help the company improve.Yea Innodyn, they are great!, but they will never get my money. Sorry that was negative but true. This forum can not really help the company improve, but they should know pilots and builders are not dumb. With the internet you have vast amounts of info available and builders trading info. It works for some companies and against others.

ww2planes: I talked with them and they were very pleasant. If given the chance I would install one of their units in a heartbeat. they are familiar with this forum and they are trying to be a company that will have you knocking down the doors.I am sure you are also a very nice and pleasant person. I called them and was also pleased with the friendly Gentleman I talked to. He was more of a salesman, but very nice. No one is saying they are liars and cheats. Right now they need to be realistic & truthful. I am not saying it is a bad engine, but from what I know about turbine engines (as former engineer for Boeing/P&W) it may be hard to fly and very dangerous in the wrong hands do to engine management (not because of too much power, may be the opposite). I have faith, but when it comes to a new engine company they have to earn my faith, especially when my back-side counts on it. I suggest every one wait for them to prove their engines.

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
I checked out the booth at OSH, and although I know absolutely nothing about turbines, it sure looked like a cool system. I've read all the posts in the past about unrealistic promises and delivery dates, and was glad to see that this time they were upfront about letting people know that they are still a ways off before customer planes start flying. Maybe by next years airventure we will know how much JetA these things really burn.

Dyno Data

Two years ago they promised us dyno run data, both before and after they did the Navy APU tests on the low power dyno. I look for a new turboprop from the current family of VLG turbine engines within 2 years, now cost may be another thing.
RRobertson
TB-20 for now.

Innodyn Fuel Burn

According to Innodyn's FAQ page, fuel burn is 7 gallons per 100 HP. My calculation shows that using a 255 HP turbine X 70% power X 7 gph/100HP = 12.5 gph, less that the IO-540! (255 X .7 X .07 = 12.5)

They also recently announced the arrival of a dyno to test their turbine.

turbines

Last Oshkosh we were ready to put money down on the Innodyne turbine. We got as far as taking pictures of engine mounts and installation. The only thing that changed our minds was the insurance companies. I stopped by and talked to Nation Air, which I have for my RV8. As far as their underwriters are concerned it is absolutely NO!. Unless Vans approves the engine, they want nothing to do with a turbine in the RV10 -- bummer.

Back