What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap hinge alignment issue - what to do?

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
RV9A, middle hinge bracket on one flap didn't come out perfectly centered (brackets on the spar are perfect). Hole alignment is measured .036" (almost 3/64") too far forward. This is more than enough to not be able to get the bolt in, and would require a tremendous amount of force to force it (not even going there).
It looks to me that the only solution is to slightly elongate the holes in the middle flap bracket hinge points (on the flap) by about 3/64" aft. I guess one could also elongate the outboard hinge bracket hole about 1/32" forward, and the middle bracket hold about 1/32" aft, but it seems it would be better to just mess with one bracket for fear of things getting real sloppy.
Suggestions and coments covering the full range of this issue are requested. Surely I'm not the first to do less than perfect work :).

Related question: Is flutter (and hence hinge slop) not a big concern on flaps? It seems that there was quite a bit of play in the flaps of just about every spam can I've ever flown.

Thanks,
Scott
IMG_0696_2.jpg

Last edited:
scard said:
This is more than enough to not be able to get the bolt in, and would require a tremendous amount of force to force it (not even going there).[/IMG]

Although this may not be perfect you will never know until you try it. You may be surprised to see that it will all go together. Just a thought.

Last edited:
what is actually out of alignment??

Scott

Maybe you have already done this but if not give it a try. Install two of the bolts. Move the flap through it's normal range and see how the hole alignment changes. Then install it with a different bolt left out. With a little work and some head scratching you should be able to tell what is out of alignment, as in the flap is warped or one of the brackets is off.

It may not be that the center hinge is the problem, it might just seem that way because that was the last bolt you tried to install. I would go through all the options before removing any material. Unless of course you got one of those special tools they sell at Oshkosh that puts material back on. :rolleyes: I think they are sold next to the guy with the drill bits.

Good luck

Last edited:
Call Van's tech support or send them a picture.... A little brass bushing goes on those holes.

Vans says...

Here is the word from Vans tech support:

Scott,

The fix is to open the hole in the center hinge bracket, in the flap
only, with a round file. File just enough that the bolt will enter the
bearing in the hinge on the spar. Don't alter any of the other
brackets.

Bruce Reynolds

Size of mis-alignment...

Hi Scott,

I have a similar issue. Do you remember how much the middle bracket holes were misaligned? 1/16" 1/32", 1/64", etc.

I've got a call in to Vans, but was just curious. Mines about 1/16".

Michael-

Back