What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Galveston (KGLS)

weathers

I know some people have flown into KGLS before. I was trying to get some recommendations on lodging (particularly if there is a place on the beach to pitch a tent), transportation, food, beaches, sailing, etc... Trying to plan a fun cheap weekend at the beach!!! Any info would be much appreciated...

Hmmmm....

Galveston has a nice airport (too bad they put in a tower a couple years ago - it doesn't really need it, and makes it less attractive to those of us that used to shoot lots of practice approaches there), and yes, lots to do! Moody Gardens, the Lone Star Air Museum, Schlitterbahn Galveston - all within a couple blocks of the ramp. The seawall is a little over a mile away, but there isn't really any beach right there - you'll have to go another couple miles in one direction or the other to find sand. The town is driven by tourism, so there are tons of condos and hotels - and unfortunately, everything costs what tourists will pay. Galveston would be a great destination if you can fit a folding bike and a daypack into your airplane!

If you've never been, it is worth a trip, but expect to spend some money on attractions, food, etc. Spring break can get VERY crowded if the weather is good of course. And of course it is all pretty much urban - don't expect to find any remote beach places - the island is more or less a suburb of the Greater Houston area.

There are some good seafood places - I like Casey's on the Seawall for big portions and good food.

Paul

Last edited:
Almost a part of America.

I would love to fly there, any pictures and information would be nice, I haven't see the place for 56 years, besides, I was 3 months old when I left, I had to, my parents moved.
Thats right, born in Galveston, YEEE HAAA!

Randy

I have alwayse wanted to fly to Mustang Island. I'm told you land 1/4 of a mile from the beach and there is an outdoor shower to rinse off.

KRAS - one of my favorite spots

Hmm. I haven't measured it, but it doesn't feel like 1/4 mile the many times I have walked it. More like 1/2 mile (from parking to waters edge).

It is a beautiful spot to fly into. You can enter the little "line shack" which is air conditioned, with restrooms and usually some travel info (pamphlets and flyers).

They have fuel now (did not when I first started going there).

There are now two (count em) two cab companies that will pick you up there (and a rent-a-wreck).

There is also the trolley, which comes by hourly, and there is good food (albeit pricey) at the marina restaurant across the street from the airport.

Walk north about half a mile on the highway to Sharkeys (the Quickie on it's nose is quite a sight).

Great food in town, but it's too far to walk. Call a cab or take the trolley.
(I heard the trolley might have quit running, but I don't know for sure.)

I have flown there many a time just to "put my feet in the water" and chill out on the beach. You can walk to a couple of bars/grills by going "north" on the beach as well. Can't remember the names, but they are "rustic" :)

Lots of neat places to stay and most will come pick you up as part of the stay.

I almost always fly a few minutes up the beach for some dolphin spotting.

It's a great little getaway. A fine place to decompress and just enjoy life.

Hope to be there again soon.
Hope you get to go there soon.

Oh yea, almost forgot, yes,there are public outdoor showers! :)

KRAS

Joe:

I was there just before Christmas and couldn't figure out what the combo was for the front door to the "Shack". Kinda nice to know after a 2 or 3 hr. flight and there's no rest room in sight! A lot of places have a sign like: Combo is XXXXX VOR Freq. or something similar so pilots can get in and still keep the "terrorists" out.

Do you know what the Combo is? If you don't want to list it here, please PM me.

Thanks

Don't remember for sure

Off the top of my head. I think it's just the CTAF and use 9 digit keypad, not the door lock.

They added the extra keypad some time back. Originally, you got the other combo on a note they put on your airplane. :)

Pretty sure it's the CTAF.

Yep, it's the CTAF freq to access the shack.

It's a fun place to fly into. Your approach is over water, and your departure is over water. (JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE KITES!!! The beach goers can get those things up into the traffic pattern.)

One of my favorite flights was a flight as a student pilot. We were trying to beat a line of TS headed to the Houston by departing earlier and getting out of the area. Our route had us going straight south from Houston until we hit the coast. Then we hung a sharp right and followed the coastline all the way down to Mustang. That was a beautiful flight.

Phil

Back