What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Padre vacation???

flybaja

Long winter here in CO but great skiing, no complaints. I am however feeling the need to dip my toe in some salt water and though maybe S Padre Island. i am having a tough time convincing my wife to buy in on the plan. How's the weather there at the end of May and June? Any recommendations for condos/houses on the beach? we don't do hotels well as we like to settle in and do our own cooking. Is it a good family place (7 year old)? Any and all opinions and comments are welcome.
Places we have flown to : La Paz (great place), Loreto (fun town, not a great beach), Mulege (good place to drink but no beach), San Diego (nice beaches, too crowded), bahamas (awesome but a long trip from CO), Fla (too many blue hairs).
Never been to the Texas coast so let me know the secrets....

Best,
Steve
RV-8

I haven't been to S. Padre Island since spring break of my senior year(1986) at Texas A&M. But the weather in May or June should be close to HOT! The water temp should be pretty nice. It is one the nicest beaches in Texas though.

Steve

My family spent a week there last Sept. We have now 4 yr old twins and we had a very nice relaxing time. I wouldn't take the family during spring break, but other than that no problem. Our kids really loved the sea turtle rescue center, highly recommend that one. You can search for the SPI city info site, has good maps and activities.

We found our vacation rental here; http://www.vlbo.com/texas/southpadreisland.cgi

Go with price and comfort as all the condos are in similarl areas on the island and then entire eastern side of the island is one long continuous beach. Our condo was one block from the beach, easy walking distance. I would recommend getting one with pool access. Sounds silly, but especially with kids, it is very nice to have the pool to jump in when returning from the beach, the colder water is a refreshing way to clean the salt off.

PM me if you want to know the one we stayed in.

South Padre Vacation

You might want to consider Port Aransas (KRAS) where the sun spends the winter and the fish bite everyday. Nice condos, good beaches, good restaurants, good airport on the island close to town with tolley service and cheap cabs. Again avoid spring break.

I keep a chevy suburban at the airport which you are welome to use if I'm not there that week.

We have three or four RV's headed down tomorrow for lunch.

Mark
RV-10/N410MR

thanks for the replys

thanks guys! am looking forward to a trip that way. As luck has it we always spend our sping break on the ski hill. Thanks for the advise on the VRBO site, i will check it out.
I looked at Mustang Beach as well. I think i would hit them both in the same trip.
Seems my travel bug has hit a couple neighbors in our neighborhood...we now have a couple planes going to the Bahamas in June, should be fun! We may stop and say hi to Mickey and Minnie along the way:)
The weather has been great here lately, I have 7 straight days in the -8 yipeeee, hope to make it 8 tomorrow.
happy flying to all,
Steve
Longmont CO
-8 purchased flying

Back