What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite airport for a Shuttle launch trip?

groucho

Well Known Member
Tanya & I are flying the 6 out to the KSC area in a couple weeks to see a friend fly the Space Shuttle. I've browsed through a couple trip reports, but I didn't see many comments on how the airports were in that area. Does anyone have a favorite place to fly to near there?

Space Coast Regional (TIX), Merritt Island (COI), and Melbourne (MLB) look like possibilities. Staying near Disney might also be a possibility since it's always good to have something else to do. Maybe Kissimmee Gateway (ISM)?

Any thoughts, ideas, comments, or fellow launch partiers?

I use TIX when I'm going for business for a day, and COI if I'm going for a few days and want to enjoy Cocoa beach. TIX is a quick, easy place that my travel folks know and know how to set up a rental car, and is close to KC HQ. COI is more convenient to the hotels. Both are good airports - decide where you want to stay, and then pick the one that's closest....(if you want to the full "space coast launch experience", COI is hard to beat....)

Oh yeah - one of my FAO's told me he used to hang with you at school Groucho - I'm still trying to figure out if that raises or lowers my estimation of each of you...;)

Paul

decide where you want to stay, and then pick the one that's closest...
So they're all ok...cool. I'm staying in the Keys then! :cool:

Oh yeah - one of my FAO's told me he used to hang with you at school Groucho - I'm still trying to figure out if that raises or lowers my estimation of each of you...;)
Yup! Terry sent me an email a week or so ago. Ahhh, Texas A&M...those were the days...

Back