What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF Coastal Hideaway club

jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
VAF Coastal Hideaway...from JC McDowell

As many know, I own a property on a barrier island on the coast of Georgia just north of St. Simons near Darien, Georgia called Hird Island. The cabin is accessible by boat or by plane and has direct access to the Intercoastal Waterway and the Ocean via the Darien River. My wife and I recently had our first child and we came to the realization that the practicality of her running a 19' Carolina Skiff over open water with an infant alone to get groceries and mail while I commuted to work in Atlanta with my RV7 was less than ideal. We re-arranged our dance cards and found a lovely home on St. Simons Island just north of Hird Island within a 10 minute hop north (about 30 miles by car).

I am reluctant to market the property for sale for many reasons and came up with an idea that may provide RV'ers within fuel range of the Georgia Coast access to a private getaway for a fantastic value.

Hird Island is a barrier island protected from the ocean by the marsh to the east. Our cabin faces the ocean and sits along Hird Creek with a 2 boat deepwater dock and elevated observation deck. I fish off the dock all the time and have great success with frozen or live shrimp (available at the marina near by) and my wife catches blue crab by the dozen off our dock.

We have a 2002 19' Carolina Skiff with a 90hp honda engine and bimini that we use to get back and forth. It's a great fishing boat and we can use it to go to Sapelo Islands beach for a beach day. We have a color GPS and depth sounder on the boat with the routes to avoid the local sandbars.

The house is sided in cypress and has a master with a full bath and a potential 2nd bedroom off the kitchen (I use it currently as a mini workshop- can never be too far away from tools . The house has wide plank pine floors with square cut nails and bat and board pecky cypress interior siding. The cabinets are custom pine cabinets. There is a propane stove, and electric refrigerator in the kitchen. In the living room there is a small wood stove that is excellent in the winter and a combo electric heater/AC unit that will keep the house chilled in the hottest of Georgia summers. The house is fully furnished from the swinging porch swings, bedroom furniture, washer dryer, to the stereo system in the living room.

The grass strip is 2300' long with a sandy base. The strip is surrounded by tall pines on three sides and is easily 100' wide with the approach open over water to the north. The community is working on getting the strip on sectionals as a private strip. There are tie down spots at the south end of the runway.

Here's a link to a slideshow:
http://adobe.kodakgallery.com/Share...post_signin=Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Ux=0

I'd like to see the interest in a limited number of VAF members (25) joining a club to use the island retreat. I'm thinking of online scheduling with credit card payments made monthly per calendar year renewable each year. The house would be turnkey including the furnished house, propane included, electrical included, house cleaning per visit, skiff delivered topped off and maintained per visit. Fishing poles waiting or simply a great place for a quiet weekend retreat. Each member schedules time first come first serve for an average of 14 days per member not including community events, cookouts, or fly-ins. There are other activities available a short hop by plane to St. Simons, Jekyll, Hilton Head, up and down the coast.

All this on a private island with a view of the Sapelo lighthouse to the north and little St. Simon island to the south for $125 per month per member.

With as few as 10 people interested I'll get rolling on an open house fly-in and cookout within the next 2 months for people to visit.

Regards,

JC McDowell

ps- I'd like to see something like this available in snow skiing country

C@@L !!

That's an awesome idea! A pilot exclusive retreat for a measly $1500 a year. I sure wish I lived in the southeast! Good luck with this project. I definitely think it'll fly (pun intended).

Club

JC:

I'm intrested. let me know when you have a "show and tell". E-mail is in profile.

you have my attention!

Put me on your interested list, my email should be in the profile

Getting Good response!

Between Email, Private messages, and posts- I have almost enough people to start planning a fly-in!

I should be getting a feel for the response here at the RV Squadron at KFFC next week!

I might try to schedule a day trip for folks closer to the island for a sneak peek!

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the interest!

We're in..

Hi JC, we're in.

For you guys who have not been there, it's a must! Jenny and I visited with JC a couple months ago and it is so peaceful and remote, yet close to everything...make sense?

Add us to you list, JC,

Put us on the list

Mary and I are interested. Will be living in the SE by the end of the year.

OK- weve reached the mins...

I'll get feedback from the FALCON RV Squad here at KFFC and look at the calendar for a local get together and a more fancy FLY-IN cookout event.

Great Support and Feedback- keep it coming!

Thanks to All!

So, With 25 members, that's like, say, two off peak weekends and two peak weekends per year, plus ten days to spread out during the weeks. The northerners among us would probabally be incluined to come down in the winter to thaw out, while the southerners would be more interested in summers. Sounds great, basically 750 per week, with a boat, dock, crabs, cleaning, and all that included, not bad at all. Wish I had a plane.... :)

I would be interested in the flyin to check it out. Looks like I would be interested in your venture.

Jim

I love the Idea

I've dreamed about having a place like your's for me and my wife. Please keep me informed. I'm in Palm Beach Florida and once I finish my RV8, the house would be a short jump.

Falcon RV Squad email went out today...

I give it a few days to get feedback and then we'll plan two events:

1. local impromptu get together on a Sat or Sun.

nothing fancy, but I can get feedback on value-added items.

2. after a little clean up, a full blown fly-in and cookout scheduled.

Then I'll have everything down to brass tacks and ready to roll.

I think this is a great opportunity. I can see a Falcon RV weekend to go fishing with 3-4 planes flying down and 3-4 inside and camping outside for others. Full kitchen and great fishing off the dock or on the boat.

I can imagine an annual fly-in with folks coming down and camping overnight or flying south to St. Simons for a more 'civilized' evening abode.

Maybe a great midpoint for Sun-N-Fun. Plan on staying overnight coming South or Heading North.

A guys golf weekend- 2 planes for a foursome and hop over to St. Simons or Jekyll for the day and back to the "VAF Getaway" before dusk.

A romantic weekend for two where you never leave the cabin....:)

I'm hoping to have a locals (local for RV's can mean 2 states away...) day scheduled before end of the week, with a fly-in scheduled shortly thereafter.

Thanks again for all those interested.

Chilled

We're planning on making the SE home in a few years, would love to get a head start with a place like yours. Please include me as very interested. Nearing completion of the wings, will need to rent a few times but love the idea.

In the Northeast skiing look to Mt. Snow, they have an airport real close to the lifts and they may even shuttle by golf cart. Summers, the golf course is close by the airport, will pick up.

Jeff Cissell

WHAT DATES FOR FLY-IN COOKOUT???

Before Sun-n-Fun or after???

Sun-n-Fun is April 8-13

We could do Saturday April 5th BEFORE Sun-N-Fun

We could do Saturday April 19th AFTER Sun-N-Fun

What do people think??

VAF HIDEAWAY CLUB SNEEK PEEK SAT MARCH 22

I know it's Easter weekend and only a few folks can come out, but we''l schedule another fly-in after SUN-N-FUN and there will be 25 memberships first come first serve.

I'm between St. Simons (KSSI) and Hird all this week and weekend. My cell is 404-784-0486 and my email is [email protected]

W 081-22.487

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=31.392989,-81.386204&spn=0.030625,0.058365&t=h&z=14

Just off the coast in the barrier islands off of Darien, Ga. The island is 3 miles long and fairly narrow with 2 "bra shaped" curves to the ocean side. My house is on the second curve to the South and the Strip is before the 1st curve.

APPROACH PROCEDURE:
The runway is roughly North-South facing with the North end at the river with a dock and the South end with 30-40ft pines. The Runway is 2300 ft. long and approx. 100 ft wide and there is a wind sock on the right side of the strip by the dock. Once your down low on final the trees block the wind. The grass strip is a sandy base, center to slightly left is smoother than far right on approach. The strip is much more forgiving than many I flown on, but you know the drill- keep the weight off your nose as long as possible.
I typically approach from the North and do a low and slow pass over the runway to check for obstacles or vehicles, then turn to the ocean side of the island to do a fly-by of my house. My house has the 2nd sailboat in front of it on the 2nd curve. I then turn crosswind, then downwind at 1000ft, and start a normal landing procedure at the end of the island. On final, I use the dock as "the fence".
If you're not on the ground mid length- GO AROUND!
There are green parking spaces on the South end of the Strip on the left side and at the back. If you're staying for a few hours-no need to tie down, but overnight bring some corkscrews and ropes to tie down.

If you fly by the house, I'll come down and pick you up. Most cell services work on the island and you can call me if no one is there. I'll have signs posted as well.

It would be very helpful if you send me an email if you're planning on dropping by.

RECAP:

A well built cabin on Hird Island just of the Intercoastal Waterway near Sapelo Island with a deep water dock, observation deck, 19' Carolina Skiff w/ 90hp outboard included. The house has a very comfortable master bedroom, a fold out bed, and I'm moving my tools out of the back room to make a 2nd guest bedroom (maybe bunk beds).

I will buy a 3 wheeled cargo cycle that will carry 500lbs and have it located at the grass strip to carry cargo and another bicycle for the co-pilot. It will have solid tires and be about as maintenance free as I can manage.

The island is a hop/skip from St. Simons and Jekyll for dining, golf, fuel. The cheapest fuel around is currently KJES at 3.85 for 100LL.

I have an online scheduler setup, which will show online statements, have a squawk list, a member forum, and group messaging to schedule group events.

I have an online scheduler setup, which will show online statements, have a squawk list, a member forum, and group messaging to schedule group events.

There are 25 membership available for $125/mo with annual contract renewable Jan 01 every year. The year will be prorated by the month joined.

Last edited:
HIDEAWAY WEBSITE UP...

I contracted with schedulemaster to have a group schedule available to all members. I set up a google website as a splash page for the Cabin

www.hirdhideaway.net

I'll get more photos and pages up this week and get a FAX contract form on their to sign up.

If you want to come down and take a SNEEK PEEK this SATURDAY- you can come by car or by plane (or by boat for that matter).

You can drive to Blue-N-Hall Marina on RT 99 just off Darien Ga. and give me a call and I can bring the skiff over from the landing strip and pick you up.

I'll have snacks, soft drinks, and coffee available at the cabin. Depending on the time of day, there may be some fishing going on (low tide is best).

Thanks Sue and Marshall for coming out Saturday!

Sue and Marshall flew out a beautiful RV8 to Hird Island Saturday and got the grand tour of the Island. It was an event filled day before Easter with a lot of families on the Island (which is unusual). There was a special art sale from a resident glass artist (first time ever), a personal tour of the history of Hird Island. Sue and Marshall visited the Cabin and met my wife, mother, and little girl. Then I took them on a quick boat ride from our dock to the Intercoastal Waterway.

All in all it was a nice way to spend the day and I appreciate Sue and Marshalls time and interest in being the first member of the VAF Hideaway Club!

I'll update photos on the website (www.hirdhideaway.net) and I'll have the registration forms available next week to sign up.

For those of you flying through for Sun-N-Fun and are interested in becoming a member, contact me and let's see if you can make HIRD island a waypoint destination for you on the way to Florida.

and a good time was had by all!

Sue and I had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the island and the company.

It is pretty cool to leave Athens and just land out on the island that way.

We intend to sign up with Jerry if he gets the number of interested folks to join up that he needs, so if you are interested, check it out.

OK you guys. It really is time to get excited about this deal. My impressions of the trip down

1. The location is just awesome. You really are just a hop away from all kinds of opportunities from Savanna, GA to Fernandina Beach, FL with St. Simons right there.
2. Once you land, busy civilization just dissappears. There are trees on the side toward the mainland, so all you see is out to the barrier islands and out to sea.
3. I am a forester, and the pecky cypress paneling inside the cabin just makes you feel like olden days at the coast, but the cabin is really modern.
4. Jerry understates the two level deck, truly amazing, and when you get there, you can imagine that there is nobody for miles.
5. We were told that this was a busy weekend, being Easter and all, but you still felt like you were alone.
6. The neighbors that we met were all just wonderful, and Sue, of course bought some art from a local artist.

If you are on the fence, I'd check it out. I expect there will be more than on RV get together there this spring and summer.

My biggest problem will be scheduing, with my travel, and Sue in grad school, but we will make time to spend a little wind-down time there this year.

cheers everybody

HIRD HIDEAWAY FLY-IN SCHEDULED FOR SAT APRIL 26

The website is up and running at:
www.hirdhideaway.net

The terms and agreements for the club membership are complete and the membership contract is available on the website at the "SIGN UP TODAY!" link.

We are planning on a fly-in on the 26th all day. I've invited the neighbors at HIRD to fly in with their friends and we plan on a cookout, an island tour, and if time permits a boat ride around the island.

The FLY-IN is two weeks after Sun-N-Fun, but if you are trekking from far away and wanted to drop in to take a look at the property, please contact me and we can work something out for you to take a look enroute...

Best Regards,

coastal Hideaway

Yes, I am interested also! Put me on your list for a visit.
Thanks,
Randy Utsey
N55CU / RV-7
Charlotte, N.C.

GA COAST FLY-IN SATURDAY APRIL 26th

HIRD HIDEAWAY FLY-IN SATURDAY APRIL 26th- ALL DAY.

*2300' GRASS STRIP
*TOUR OF THE ISLAND
*COOKOUT
*PREVIEW HIRD HIDEAWAY CABIN

PLEASE CONTACT:

JC McDowell ([email protected])
404-784-0486 cell

HIRD HIDEAWAY FLY-IN SATURDAY APRIL 26th

I'm hosting a day long FLY-IN on Hird Island Saturday the 26th. We'll have hot dogs and hamburgers to order and a few fishing poles and bait to dangle off the dock (maybe some fresh fish too...) if you want to try your hand. Or just come down for a nice walk on a secluded barrier island or a swing on the porch.

I'll be giving tours of the island and the HIRD HIDEAWAY cabin. More info here: (including pictures from google and strip photos)

www.hirdhideaway.net

Hird is located INLAND from Sapelo Island near Darien Ga on the coast. here is the Lat and Long:

W 081-22.487

APPROACH PROCEDURE:
The runway is roughly North-South facing with the North end at the river with a dock and the South end with 30-40ft pines. The Runway is 2300 ft. long and approx. 100 ft wide and there is a American Flag on the right side of the strip by the dock.
I typically approach from the North and do a low and slow pass over the runway to check for obstacles or vehicles, I then turn LEFT crosswind, then LEFT downwind at 1000ft, and start a normal soft field landing procedure at the end of the island. On final, I use the dock as "the fence".

If you're not on the ground mid length- GO AROUND!

There are parking spaces on the South end of the Strip on the left side and at the back. If you're staying for a few hours-no need to tie down, but overnight bring some corkscrews and ropes to tie down.

I'll have a golf cart available to give tours. If you extend your go-around- my house has the 2nd sailboat (big mast sticking up) in front of it. Fly over and I can make sure I greet you at the field if I'm not there already.

Hird is located South of Savannah and North of St. Simons/Jekyll Island.

ANY QUESTIONS:

JC McDowell @ [email protected]
404-784-0486 cell

Weather Looks Great for Hird Hideaway Fly-In Saturday 26th!

The Weather looks great!

You want to take the plane for a coastal flight, explore a coastal barrier island, try your hand at fishing off the dock, or explore my epicurean talents over a grill for hot dogs and hamburgers- PLEASE JOIN US!

I'll be arriving before 10am, after that- it's fair game!

I'll have my blackberry- so emails are good anytime! Phone also works, 404-784-0486 cell.
[email protected] email

KSSI Unicom is 123.05 and Wx is 118.52

That's the closest coastal airport.

SEE YOU AT HIRD HIDEAWAY!

jcmcdowell

Back