What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy to Windscreen Gap

Larry

Has anyone had any problems with the canopy to windscreen gap (vertical direction)? I have bent, pushed, tugged, and twisted both the canopy bow and the canopy cage and can not get the vertical gap correct. The vertical gap (which by VANs instructions should be less than 1/16 of an inch to be correctly covered by the fiber glass) exceeds 1/4 inch in one area. The gap is correct at the bottoms where the bow mounts to the fuselage (both 90 and 270 degrees), it is correct from 90 degrees through 0 (vertical top) until 330 degrees. From there to 280 degrees there is the 1/4 inch gap.

I am at loss for how to resolve this problem. The 1/4" gap will cause a large buldge on the left side if I account for it with glass filler on the windscreen side.

I need some suggestions. :( :( :(

As you look at different RVs on the line, you will note the use of nylon washers, used as spacers between the plexi and the rollover/canopy bar.
By using these washers to "push" out the wind screen, you can remove some (if not all) of the difference between the canopy and wind screen. Make sure you place washers on several screws so you can taper the spacing. On my RV6, I had to do this in several places on the canopy to make things fit as close as possible and then the fiberglass trim can do the rest. These washers are all but invisible on the completed plane and you really have to look to see them.
Many RVs builders do this in order to align the glass. (Unless you had the forethought and experience to work over the frames earlier in your project. I know of some folks who have actually bent, cut and rewelded the canopy frames to get a better fit.)
Good luck.

spacers what material?

I anticipate the same problem this week when i start on mine.

What are the different materials or hardware I can use? square delrin? nylon washers-- never bought any that big just tiny ones to keep paint from turning.

I have a plastic bag with a couple strips of delrin, a couple pop rivets and an alum 1/2x 4" piece I have no idea what it goes to...

tia-- (thank in advance)

Use nylon washers and stack them to get the correct height. You only need to put them on the screws that hold down the wind screen. If you are using #6 screws, you can get #6 nylon washers from aircraft spruce or probably Wicks. They are only a few cents each. I bought from 100 to 200 of #6, #8 & #10 nylon washers and use them on any non-structural screws to protect the paint underneath the screw heads all around on the plane.

plastic ashers

you can get them at Home Depot too. might be a little cheaper there.
danny

thanks guys-- I have a Home Depot in town. I also noticed that I have a couple dozen #6 and #8 nylon washers sitting around so I'll decide what to tap them to tomorrow.

I noticed today that I totally missed the spacers( just mounted it flush) that are supposed to be under the side slider track rails too. I was fabricating the rollbar spacers a bit for fit and was reading the blueprint and noticed the spacers.

The reason I asked about delrin is in the picture.

http://www.pbase.com/mark2nite/image/46549223/original

I bought several hundred washers at ACS but started dropping them all over the place. So I had some strips of delrin and just kept wedging it in and grinding it down, and then sliced off a bit. Not too clean looking but worked.

127050362bk.jpg

Back