What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Benson - Karchner Caverns

rvator51

Well Known Member
Just a quick write up on a trip that we took last weekend to visit Karchner Caverns.
Karchner Caverns in southeastern Arizona was just discovered in 1974 and was kept secret for may years until it was made a state park in a secret vote. Since it is considered a "living" cave, the state is trying to keep it in its natural conditions. This includes airlocks, a mist spray you walk through on the way in and a no touch policy.
We decided at the last minute to try to visit the caverns on Saturday. The caverns have normally been booked up in advance. However, Saturday was showing as still open on Friday evening at the reservation site on the internet.
We decided to chance trying it without reservations and left around 7am on Saturday morning. On the flight was Tom from Phoenix and Dave and Ann from Glendale. The morning air was bumpy until we got above 6000 ft. Its about a 45 minute flight to Benson airport E95.

karch00.jpg

There was a good headwind as we descended but it was calm on the ground. A DC-3 was on the ramp as we taxied in.

karch01.jpg

Tom arrived about 10 minutes before Dave and Ann in their RV-6a.

karch02.jpg

After tying down the RVs, we walked up the the FBO to see about renting a car to drive to the caverns. The gentleman in the FBO went out of his way to be accomodating to us and said he really likes RVsand let us use their curtesty car, a big Lincoln Continental. Its about a 5 mile drive into downtown Benson and we went to Gallenano's Italian Restaurant for breakfast.

karch05.jpg

Tom got the "Campfire" special. They toss just about every breakfast item on a plate then pour a pitcher of gravy over it. Dave and Ann had a bet that Tom couldnt eat all of it, but he won the bet.
karch06.jpg

To get to Karchners Caverns from Benson, you go back out to I-10 and take I-10 back west for about 2 miles to exit 302. Take AZ 90 south for 9 miles and the visitor centor for Karchner is on the left.
karch07.jpg

When we pay our parking fee at the entrance gate, the attendent said we were not allowed to take cameras into the cave and were supposed to leave them in the cars so we didnt get any pictures inside the cave.
The entrance to the caves in in the side of the hill next to the visitor center. The state uses electric trolleys to shuttle people back and forth between the visitor center and the cave entrance.
karch08.jpg

When we got to the entrance there are two air locks you have to go through and then a long tunnel to where the cave starts. As you walk through the airlocks, a fine mist is sprayed on you to eliminate anything floating in the air around you.
The tour guides did a great job talking about the features and history of the cave and made it very interesting.

A couple we meet there offered us lunch in ther RV (motorhome) but the winds had picked up and we decided to head back. When we got back to Benson airport the winds were really blowing but they were straight down the runway.
The guy at the FBO told us where he kept the keys and said if we wanted to come back after hours or when he was closed, to just let him know in advance and we could borrow the courtesy car again.
It was a short, fun flight with good company, good food and spelunking thrown in. Stopping in Casa Grande for 3.82 a gallon fuel versus the 5.00 plus a gallon fuel at Deer Valley was a plus.

Kartchner Cavern

Thanks for the report, Tom. Kartchner is a real gem and a great RV destination. Larry Pardue and I made the trek a couple of years ago and had a great tour. Actually, two tours as they offer two separate tours in the winter. (One area is closed in the summer to protect the bat maternity colony.)

For those planning a visit to the cave, the website is: http://www.pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/kartchner.html. In addition to on-line reservation, the park reserves some tickets for first-come, first-served sale at the beginning of the day (last I knew).

Anyone interested in learning more than you probably ever want to know about Kartchner can read the Special Issue of the Journal of Cave and Karst Studies, Volume 61 (2) - August 1999, at: http://www.caves.org/pub/journal/JCKS/Journal_of_Cave_and_Karst_Studies_volume_61.htm. (Unfortunately, the links appear broken at the moment but I'll get on them about it.)

Thanks Louise,

We only did the "Throne Room" tour. Next time we will do the "Big Room" tour. I found the story of how the cave was found in 1974 fascinating. At that time, I was stationed at Ft Huachucha just a few miles south of the cave. A few of us did a lot of spelunking around that area in our spare time. One of the caves we spent a lot of time in was 'Pyeatts cave", I believe it was called. It was supposed to go all of the way to Mexico and people had disappeared in it in the past. We spent two full days and a night in it, but never found a passage that went that far. Way inside the cave, we did find dates on the walls from the late 1800's.

...the attendent said we were not allowed to take cameras into the cave and were supposed to leave them in the cars so we didnt get any pictures inside the cave...

That is the policy.

Thanks for the report, Tom. Kartchner is a real gem and a great RV destination. Larry Pardue and I made the trek a couple of years ago and had a great tour. Actually, two tours as they offer two separate tours in the winter...

but Louise had used her connections to get us a special tour with a scientist. Well he didn't tell me not to bring a camera or not to take pictures, so I did. I was surprised to hear it mentioned on the regular, second tour we took. I'll have to dig out some of those photos when I get home.

Last edited:
Like to see the pictures

Larry,

Would love to see the pictures.

Liz and I met you once @ Carlsbad on a Sunday when I had just gotten our RV6A. At that time we lived in El Paso, now live in Las Cruces, and keep our plane in the EAA 555 hanger.

Chris & Liz Van Lauwe
N613LE
RV6A

The pictures I dug out Part 1

Here are a few photos to go with Tom's photos and trip report above.

P1000526

P1000531

P1000538

P1000541

P1000542

P1000543

P1000553

Continued below.

Pictures Part 2

P1000558

P1000560

P1000568

P1000569

I'd kind of forgotten how really nice a cave Karchner is!

Last edited:
Great shots Larry - I can see why thery'e goign to great lengths to preserve things!

Tom - we missed you out at big Bend! The rain shortened the time we all had togetehr, but it turned out to be a pretty nice day...

Paul

Back