What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-mag ignition harness and connectors

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm about to wire up my dual P-mags on my Superior IO-360 and wondering about the field experiences with their wires and connectors.

The wires are not shielded, so has anyone had problems with noice on the radio or audio?

Those connectors doesn't look so sturdy to me? Any problems?

Are you still using the sparkplug type they came with or have you changed to another type?

By the way: I'm not trying to start a discussion regarding the pros and cons regarding the P-mags as I'm happy with my decision so far. I'm merely looking for comments from those of you who have flown with them for a while and might have some suggestions or experiences.

Also I like to add that I've experienced nothing but nice and pleasant customer support from the good people at E-mag.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Alf,

All these questions have been answered before but to save you some time of searching through all the notes...
The wires are not shielded, so has anyone had problems with notice on the radio or audio?
Not an issue as there is no electrical pulses running through the wires as in a standard mag.

Those connectors doesn't look so sturdy to me? Any problems?
The problem isn't with the connector but with the wire. Do not "tin" them, just twist the wires and insert them. Click on this picture:

Note the double layer of shrink tubing on the wires captured in the purple Adel clamp. This keeps the wires from moving and I have had no problems with the connectors. Also note the Adel clamps running across the top of the engine mount holding the vacuum advance line. There are more pictures on the engine page of my web site.

Are you still using the sparkplug type they came with or have you changed to another type?
I'm using NGK auto plugs with the adapter and have no engine noise of any kind in my radio or intercom (with unshielded wires per Sigtronics). I'm running a low compression O-290 80 octane engine and expected to have a lead fowling issue but so far, the plugs are as clean as what you might find in a car with electronic ignition.

Also I like to add that I've experienced nothing but nice and pleasant customer support from the people at E-mag.
These guys are good with a good product that is only getting better!

Do a search on P-mags and you will find more than you want to read about problems they have had in the past. From all I can tell, all those issues are behind them.

Back