What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS and XM Satellite mount

Which material would you prefer for a firewall mounted GPS antenna mount?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I have designed a bracket that will mount both the GPS antenna and the XM antenna for the Garmin GPSX96 units under the cowling and have gotten quote from a manufacturing company to produce them. I believe I will be able to offer a reasonable priced high quality product within 90 days. It would be very helpful if RV owners and builders would vote on their material preference; aluminum or powder coated steel. The weight and cost difference is negligible between the two but because of minimum order size I'd rather only produce the bracket from one material.

This bracket would be mounted to the firewall under the cowling similar to what seveal builders/owners have done but in a unique configuration.

Please let me know which material you prefer assuming the price is the same and weight difference is negligible (<1 oz).

Thanks,

John

I'd sure like to hear from others, but my initial thoughts are powder-coated. It is nice and durable and, since the engine mount brackets are powder-coated, I take that to mean it will stand up nicely to the heat generated in that area.

Poll results

2:1 in favor of aluminum. Thank you all for voting and for commenting. I'm having a couple of RVers that I respect critique the design in return for a free bracket. Once I get their feedback I'll finalize the design and make the initial order. I think the price will be around $30 for a very nice bracket that will mount to the firewall and hold both XM and GPS antennas.

John

Back